Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: Starting a new quilt - Disappearing nine blocl

  1. #1
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I have decided to make a disappearing nine block quilt lap quilt.
    I picked out the fabric using 9 different Fat quarters.
    You can follow my progress on http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/
    I will also post my finished project here. I can't wait to see how this will look once done. This will be my third quilt. If you have finished a disappearing nine block quilt please post pictures. I would love to see the different ways they are put together. Well off to get my sewing machine ready to sew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Carol, that is a fun quilt to make! I am waiting to get mine back from the LAQ- I made a king and wasn't about to tackle the quilting on it!
    Have fun!!!

    PS. I would get one dark fabric for the center block though. You want it to pop.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    Nice fabric. I love the kitties!

  4. #4
    Super Member pojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,884
    I went to your blog very nice and interesting.


    But I like all your fabrics.

  5. #5
    Super Member Lynneander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    4,127
    Love the fabrics ... do you remember where you found the kitty fabric ... love it!

  6. #6
    Super Member dglvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    3,997
    Love the fabrics. Where the doggies? (just kidding)
    I really do like the fabrics. I have not done this pattern yet but plan too. Looks like fun. Can't wait to see yours when you get it done.
    Have fun. :thumbup:

  7. #7
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I went to Walmart last night to pick up a 4 inch block template. They had a bin full of 5 pack fat squares - One had two patterns with cats. I looked at the fabric quality and it looked fine. So for $7.00 I figured why not. I had a few fat quarters at home that I was able to add to make the nine different patterns. I wish they did have a dog pattern since I want to make two lap quilts for my grown sons for Christmas. The cats work well for me since I have Three kitties at home.

  8. #8
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I have decided to make a disappearing nine block quilt lap quilt.
    I picked out the fabric using 9 different Fat quarters.
    You can follow my progress on http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/
    I will also post my finished project here. I can't wait to see how this will look once done. This will be my third quilt. If you have finished a disappearing nine block quilt please post pictures. I would love to see the different ways they are put together. Well off to get my sewing machine ready to sew.
    Check out my posting 15th Sept and you will see the one I did for injured UK soldiers(Some of my quilts)

  9. #9
    Super Member pojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,884
    I forgot to ask where did you find the kitty fabric.

  10. #10
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    Walmart- in the 5 packs of fat quarters they sell for $7.00
    Quote Originally Posted by pojo
    I forgot to ask where did you find the kitty fabric.

  11. #11
    Super Member pojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,884
    Our Walmart don't carry them.

    They are cute.

  12. #12
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    I've used only 3 fabrics per square in the D9P's I've done. They've been for block swaps, so do not have pics of a finished quilt with them.

    This shows one complete block and about half a block of the other fabric combination I used.

    black/white/bright swap blocks
    Name:  Attachment-99259.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  33.3 KB

  13. #13
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    I can't wait to see your quilt, those are pretty fabrics :D:D:D

  14. #14
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I finished sewing all of the 9 blocks now to cut them up and resew them. LOL...my husband is like WHAT...why would you do that...
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I can't wait to see your quilt, those are pretty fabrics :D:D:D
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I finished sewing all of the 9 blocks now to cut them up and resew them. LOL...my husband is like WHAT...why would you do that...
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I can't wait to see your quilt, those are pretty fabrics :D:D:D
    Thanks for your kind comments about my soldiers quilts. I look forward to seeing this one completed. Love your colour combinations!

  16. #16
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I finished sewing all of the 9 blocks now to cut them up and resew them. LOL...my husband is like WHAT...why would you do that...
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I can't wait to see your quilt, those are pretty fabrics :D:D:D
    Thanks for your kind comments about my soldiers quilts. I look forward to seeing this one completed. Love your colour combinations!

  17. #17
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    My husband thinks I.m crazy too!! Tells everyone I buy yards of fabric, cut it all into tiny pieces then spend HOURS sewing it back together!! (He.s very supportive really!!)

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    485
    Is that really how you do it? I thought you sewed each 9 patch individually, then cut them each through the center vertically & then horizontally & then sewed them all together. Maybe it will work your way too, but not so sure. I'll keep watching your progress. I'm thinking of doing one of these as well.

  19. #19
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Disappearing Nine Patch is a fun quilt to make since there are so many different arrangements that can be made after you cut the block. Looking forward to seeing which arrangement you pick. Have fun!

  20. #20
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet Sue
    Is that really how you do it? I thought you sewed each 9 patch individually, then cut them each through the center vertically & then horizontally & then sewed them all together. Maybe it will work your way too, but not so sure. I'll keep watching your progress. I'm thinking of doing one of these as well.
    Yes thats what I did. Each nine patch individually then cut v and h.Didn.t realise you had sewn all your blocks together first!! Interesting!!

  21. #21
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    Just looked back at the picture and I think you have stitched your 9 blocks then just placed them together for the photo?? I think Bluebonnet Sue thinks you have sewn ALL your blocks together before recutting. I think the photo is a little misleading!

  22. #22
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I finished cutting up the nine blocks
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I have decided to make a disappearing nine block quilt lap quilt.
    I picked out the fabric using 9 different Fat quarters.
    You can follow my progress on http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/
    I will also post my finished project here. I can't wait to see how this will look once done. This will be my third quilt. If you have finished a disappearing nine block quilt please post pictures. I would love to see the different ways they are put together. Well off to get my sewing machine ready to sew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I have placed them in a pattern. i made it so no seam lines meet. I also did cat/no cat fabric next to each other. OK time to sew them all together.

    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I finished cutting up the nine blocks
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I have decided to make a disappearing nine block quilt lap quilt.
    I picked out the fabric using 9 different Fat quarters.
    You can follow my progress on http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/
    I will also post my finished project here. I can't wait to see how this will look once done. This will be my third quilt. If you have finished a disappearing nine block quilt please post pictures. I would love to see the different ways they are put together. Well off to get my sewing machine ready to sew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    Wow! Looking good!!!! :thumbup:

  25. #25
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,826
    Its going to be very pretty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.