Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: ta da! My bees quiltlet is done!

  1. #1
    Senior Member MrsBoats's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    465
    I learned a lot on this. The axeheads were fairly easy for me, but the half-axes sashing was a bigger pita than I expected. (And didn't come out square, for reasons I still don't understand.) Next time I bind, do it from back to front, not front to back. Picking black stitches out of black fabric is a nightmare, even in bright light. The quilting was easy, but horsing around a bed-size quilt will clearly take muscle-my hat is off to you folks who do it regularly! (And I'll be back to pick your brains about it at some point, too. :) ) There are some wonky spots, like where the sashing wouldn't not pucker under the binding, (thank heaven for busy patterns!) but overall, it's a good first effort. There are things I'll do differently next time around, but still, I'm pleased.

    Also, my goal of making us a quilt for our bed, in this pattern, isn't an impossibility-I *do* have the skills. There have been things that I thought I wanted to learn to make, right up until I actually sat down at the sewing machine and made them; quilts aren't one of those things. All in all, I had fun doing it, and can't wait to make another one!
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Super Member LeslieFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trego, WI
    Posts
    1,870
    Blog Entries
    41
    Very nice! You should be proud of your first effort, especially doing curves. Looks great.

  3. #3
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,627
    Nicely done! Your treadle will like it's new cover.

    How about skipping the sashing another time? and just have your axeheads (apple cores, to me!! :lol:) right out to the edge. That's what I did with my runner shown below.

    Apple Core Runner -- I used a very narrow binding, as I knew it would not get the wear and tear that a bed quilt would. Finished off with a simple outline quilting on both sides of the seam.
    Name:  Attachment-200615.jpe
Views: 57
Size:  63.2 KB

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    553
    Nice job.. I really like the look of this. Your color sense is very good. Glad you enjoyed the process. Cant wait to see what you pick for a big quilt.

  5. #5
    Senior Member MrsBoats's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Nicely done! Your treadle will like it's new cover.

    How about skipping the sashing another time? and just have your axeheads (apple cores, to me!! :lol:) right out to the edge. That's what I did with my runner shown below.
    Thanks! I'll definitely do that on the next one, but this one needed to be bigger than just the pieces were, and squarer. I like the look of the rippled edge though!

    How big are the cores in your table runner?

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,010
    The "Bees" quiltlet turned out great. The table runner looks nice with a good country mix of colors.

  7. #7
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,627
    [quote=MrsBoats]
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    How big are the cores in your table runner?
    .... said by MrsBoats, not QuiltE
    OOPS cut out too much!!


    The longest measurement is about 5" and the narrow indent of the core about 3". What size were yours?

    It is kind of a fun edge ... and was not hard to bind.

  8. #8
    Senior Member MrsBoats's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    465
    [quote=QuiltE]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    How big are the cores in your table runner?
    .... said by MrsBoats, not QuiltE
    OOPS cut out too much!!


    The longest measurement is about 5" and the narrow indent of the core about 3". What size were yours?

    It is kind of a fun edge ... and was not hard to bind.
    The bees are 10" long, and 4 1/2" or so wide at the narrow part. (I always understood size to be the difference between an axehead and an applecore-axeheads are considerably bigger than an applecore, although they're the same shape. I suspect it's a regional thing, although I've also seen them called Indian hatchets.)

  9. #9
    Super Member abdconsultant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    3,062
    Blog Entries
    46
    love the colors.

  10. #10
    Super Member 978gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The leaves they are a turnin'
    Posts
    1,376
    Very nicely done. You are much braver than I. I do not think I am up to doing curves!!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member MrsBoats's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by 978gray
    Very nicely done. You are much braver than I. I do not think I am up to doing curves!!!
    The funny thing is, I feel the same way about matching all those little bitty points! :-D

  12. #12
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    9,848
    Love the bees. I've always liked black and yellow and this one strikes my fancy.

    The tablerunner is lovely too.

  13. #13
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,627
    [quote=MrsBoats]
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    How big are the cores in your table runner?
    .... said by MrsBoats, not QuiltE
    OOPS cut out too much!!


    The longest measurement is about 5" and the narrow indent of the core about 3". What size were yours?

    It is kind of a fun edge ... and was not hard to bind.
    The bees are 10" long, and 4 1/2" or so wide at the narrow part. (I always understood size to be the difference between an axehead and an applecore-axeheads are considerably bigger than an applecore, although they're the same shape. I suspect it's a regional thing, although I've also seen them called Indian hatchets.)
    Yes, I think it must be regional .... as is the case for lots of other quilt block names. Likewise you'll find block of certain names, and yet they have no similarity. Indian Hatchet is one where there's different designs.

  14. #14
    Super Member Just Me...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,967
    I love that outer border fabric! The black and gold together are striking! :thumbup:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.