Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Think I can use alligator hide to quilt with?

Are there any "Swamp People" fans out there? As we were traveling back home from FL, we gave the kids a choice..either a carriage ride around Jackson Square in New Orleans, or drive 1 1/2 hrs out of the way to Pierre Part where Troy Landry and crew film this reality show. Well guess what they picked! Lo & behold who did we get to meet? Choot 'Em! Choot 'Em! Great guy!

Troy & I at Duffy's gas station
    Name:  Attachment-245551.jpe
Views: 706
Size:  68.8 KB

Quilt shop quality? LOL!
    Name:  Attachment-245552.jpe
Views: 312
Size:  45.6 KB

He would make a lovely quilt don't you think?
    Name:  Attachment-245553.jpe
Views: 378
Size:  67.0 KB

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Maggie my DH & I watch that show all the time too. I don't think I would opt to make a quilt from the alligator..maybe you could do a replica one?? With faux alligator fabric *LOL* You didn't get to meet Ms. 'lisbeth Troy's partner? She is the one who does the "Chootin" *LOL* thanks for sharing...
    crafty_linda_b sittin' & quiltin' on the CAL-ORE border far far away from any alligators

How neat that you got to do that. Those gators are even scary dead.

oh my gosh, we just got back from NO last week. I wish I'd known where to find these guys cus I would have gone out there to see them. (not the gators, dont care for that part too much, but the show is still a hoot!) sharet

Love that show! and, I really appreciate when they have the "translation" on the screen too!

What fun. My favorite two are Troy and Joe.

Ooooohhh you are brave. I think that would have creeped me out majorly.

Oh, my, Maggie....You got to meet my hero! "Swamp People" is one of my favorites! And some of those hunters are close to where my Daddy lives in Louisiana.

My daughters name is Elizabeth, so around here we Say Troy's famous words "shoot them Elizabeth, shoot em." well you know we do it in the best Troy voice we can muster before laughing ourselves silly. We love the show. So glad you got to meet him. Totally a great Memory for you all. Oh yeah and I opt for no alligator quilt, but JMhO lol

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    I am a Louisianan, born and raised, as we say in the South. I've not met any of the folks on the show, but I have family who could be those people when it comes to language. They didn't hunt gators but they did lots of crabbing, crawfishing, and hunting.

When I said to my sister that the translation is ridiculous, she said absolutely not, it's necessary. But she has lived away from home for about 30 years. I guess you can take the country out of the girl. :-)

My biggest worry about the show is that people will think we're ALL the same. I've been all over La. and love it dearly, but I am as different from Troy and the gang as you are. It's not good or bad, that's just how it is. I love La. too much to want us stereotyped into any one niche. Afterall, I doubt that Lisbeth would want to be stereotyped into my line of work...a teacher and quilter. And let's not forget the exterminator guy or the logging guy! Nope we have all kinds of people here, too.

But yes, we do love the show! Watched 8 hours one day when my gs was here for the weekend!

Blog Entries
    We have been watching the show here in Australia, love it.
    We think it's funny when when watch a show from the UK and it is subtitled LOL

Love the show, my husband and I don't miss it! So glad you got the opportunity to meet Troy that would be pretty neat..as far as quilting with the alligator, might just print the pic on fabric LOL

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    We have been watching the show here in Australia, love it.
    We think it's funny when when watch a show from the UK and it is subtitled LOL
    Believe it or not, it is subtitled here too.. LOL We can't understand what alot of them cajuns say lol

Shoot lizabeth shoot!
    Love the show and looks like y'all had a great time. Had three of those gators "babies" in our pond a few years back.
    Have always told my son not to "play" with the gators when he goes fishing. One of the charms of the South.

Blog Entries
    Oh my DH is going to be sooo jealous!!!!! We love that show!!!

what fun, you are so lucky

I watch this show with DH sometimes. How cool you took a photo with him and the gators. I'd have to find some faux gator fabric to make a memory quilt to remember this trip by. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't seen this show in a long time, but loveit loveit LOVEIT!!! Troy is my favorite as well. You gotta respect how people make their living off the land. Downright inspiring!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    My Dad loves that show! He would be so jealous. He's a truck driver and goes to NO. Every month, if he knew where they were located I know he would take a detour from his route.

I love this show and Troy and his "everyday shirt". He's my favorite on the show.

A friend of mine got me hooked on this show....As a kid a I grew up with a Dad that did alot gator hunting....Have been up close and personal with the beasts.....lolol.......Congrats on your pic with Troy!!

I used a deer skin on a quilt. But I have a feeling alligator is tougher. What an experience.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    How about using the gator to make a Boe Tucks? :-)

We just got back from NO and while there they had a commercial running on tv for a LA lottery ticket and Troy was in it. It was called the choot it, or choot lottery - it was cute (jus choot lisbet, choot!) sharet
    hubs needs the subtitles - hes a little hard of hearing, lol

OMGOODNESS,

I love that show and in fact, I have it in my on demand section. I think I when it comes on Netflix, I am going to buy the series. I just like those guys because they are down to earth and real. Troy is my favorite with Lizzy Baby. Thanks for sharing this picture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast