Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Those wasteful ladies at my quilt group!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    At my quilt group on Friday, the lady next to me was going to throw a scrap of fabric away (the blue and purple scrap in the pic)! I said 'I'll have that!' She looked at me like I was nuts and said 'why don't you go through the bin as well?' 'Oh good, idea said I': she said she was joking and all the other ladies started laughing as I started rooting through the bin, but look what I found! So I made this block and will continue to do this until I have enough to piece together and then take it to show them what they threw away! :D

K x

PS Thanks Izy for the crazy crumb tute! :wink:

I'll show 'em the error of their ways!
    Name:  Attachment-35382.jpe
Views: 64
Size:  51.3 KB

With the price of fabric here in France, they shouldn't be throwing this away!
    Name:  Attachment-35383.jpe
Views: 64
Size:  45.8 KB

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I agree!!!

Great use of fabric.

Great idea, K!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What a great idea!! Take a picture of their expressions when they see what you made!! :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    What a great idea!! Take a picture of their expressions when they see what you made!! :D
    Sure will!

K x

Hmmmmm maybe you should keep it quiet, they will start keeping the scraps...I like what your doing :)

That's a good idea. Looks like you've got a good start!

Their loss, your gain! I think it's a great idea to show them what you can do with the scraps, but on the other hand Ruth Camp definitely has a point on keeping quiet.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I'd already thought of that! At first, I thought I'd take the block to show them, but I'll wait til I've got a quilts worth! LOL

K x

You go girl!!!!!!!!! Let us know what they say when you show them the block>

Piedmont Quilter
    Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I'd already thought of that! At first, I thought I'd take the block to show them, but I'll wait til I've got a quilts worth! LOL

K x
    Go, K!!! you show 'em.
    :wink: yeah, AFTER, ya got a few quilts, made. Do like I do...
    let 'em think your crazy, lol! :wink: :wink: :wink:
    (and laugh your butt off, the whole time.)
    smart is, as smart does! :XD:

Great save! Their trash is turned into a beautiful block! Going green is fun!

I love your block.... good work... hmmm, makes me want to join a quilting group :twisted: Well, other than this great bunch that is.

They really throw big pieces away. You go K.

The other night a friend and I were at quilt guild. A lady brought my friend a whole bag of "scraps" to use for quilts for the Church where we meet. Well, I spied a "kitty" fabric and grabbed it out before I even thought:oops: :oops: :oops: This "scrap" was over a yard of fabric!!! I did offer to give it back but my friend just laughed and said I could keep it!!

Izy
    Yeah!! Way to go girl!! Scrap happy block, I love it!!

I have abit of a reputation at my guild for raking the bins.... :roll: Last week as soon as I walked into the room one of our members came up to me, I thought she was going to give me a nice cuddle..NO she grabbed my hand and stuffed a few scraps in my hand before even saying hello!! :lol: This follows on from a few weeks before I went to make a cuppa and there in amongst all the soggy tea bags were some scraps of beautiful fabrics, so I grabbed them and said in a loud chastising voice 'WHO has thrown these scraps away???' LOL well it turns out this lady didn't know I beg steal or rummage for scraps, anyway it worked, as she handed me some lovely bright scraps tee hee!!

So SOMETIMES it does you good to be VERBAL :roll:

Keep up the good work K...you will find these crumb blocks are very addictived!! :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce

The other night a friend and I were at quilt guild. A lady brought my friend a whole bag of "scraps" to use for quilts for the Church where we meet. Well, I spied a "kitty" fabric and grabbed it out before I even thought:oops: :oops: :oops: This "scrap" was over a yard of fabric!!! I did offer to give it back but my friend just laughed and said I could keep it!!
    Wow - I hope the ladies at my group start throwing yards away! Most of the French ladies at least, seem to buy fabric for a project then toss the remnants. They've never heard of scrappy - ssshhh, don't tell 'em! :wink:

K x

Blog Entries
    K, maybe you should just place a little holder next to each lady so they can conveniently put their scraps for you in there!!..I wouldn't tell them what I was doing with them, just let them think you are crazy... :roll:

Good job! :) :)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    K, maybe you should just place a little holder next to each lady so they can conveniently put their scraps for you in there!!..I wouldn't tell them what I was doing with them, just let them think you are crazy... :roll:
    I had thought about putting a separate bag next to the bin - it wasn't nice rooting through the sandwich crusts, etc - Izy, I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one! :D :D

K x

Izy
    K, If you ever read the topic which started off all my friends here sending over fabric for our group, you will read that we were fighting (like at a Harrods sale) over a couple of carriers of scraps one of the lady's had donated as she was returning to the UK for the summer. Henry had put up pictures of all his booty from a shopping spree, and I said do you realise how lucky you all are in the States to have so much fabric readily available for you....the result being the fantastic donations we received and still receive from one or two SPECIAL angels :D :D :D

People send you stuff for your stash? No way! I don't believe it! lol

Izy
    :wink: I think EVERYONE Knows just how special you are my fabric angel :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    :wink: I think EVERYONE Knows just how special you are my fabric angel :D :D :D
    LOL
    Aww...shucks...taint nuffin!
    I just collect as I see things. When I find fabric that's a good price, I buy extra and share. Plus, the lady that cuts at Ben Franklins is VERY good at giving extra! Love it when she cuts. If I ask for a yard, I usually get about a yard and 1/2 :) :) So see? No so hard to share!
    Elle is going to be over the moon when she opens her package that SHOULD be there by now!!
    Just let me know what you are looking for and I can put it on my list of things to find. Just remember, it won't get to you until around the first of December. lol

K...that goes for you too! If you need anything, let me know!

Izy
    Gee Terri, you do spoil us :D :D :D I ain't complaining or nuffin :shock: but the suspenders does kill me waiting!! :lol: :lol: :lol: me will get me finking 'ead on and start planning lots of new projects wiv tonnes of really really luvverly fabs for you to get your bestest friend at BF's to giv you extra of really soon :roll: :wink: :D

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast