Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Trouble with the floral Bargello...1/2 done, but uneven at the end...

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    This didn't happen with the first Bargello I made, but there's one thing I forgot to do in the first 1/4 because I was excited to get some done to see how it'd look...I forgot to sew rows from opposite ends. Is that what caused this uneven end? :|
    I finished the 2nd half today and did alternate the sewing, and maybe the second half isn't as bad?

    1. How can I prevent this from happening for the next half?

    2. How should I fix it? Once it's all together, just square it off where I can?

    one half done--look at the bottom side
    Name:  Attachment-174014.jpe
Views: 134
Size:  89.3 KB

    Sigh...it looks like most the trouble is with the skinny rows.
    Name:  Attachment-174015.jpe
Views: 139
Size:  93.2 KB

    All the other sides are straight.
    Name:  Attachment-174016.jpe
Views: 150
Size:  108.9 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    It looks like you may have stretched a few seams while pressing. You may want to mist it , and block it back into shape.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    It looks like you may have stretched a few seams while pressing. You may want to mist it , and block it back into shape.
    Thanks for your help. How do I block it?

  4. #4
    Super Member Chele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Belle Isle, Florida
    Posts
    6,737
    You might be able to block that side to get it in line. It's not that off. It sure is a beauty.

  5. #5
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,173
    Blog Entries
    47
    Others may have better ideas but I think I would get it wet and then lay a sheet on the carpet and pin the section to the size you need to be square/even and let it air dry. I'm confident you will work it out:)

  6. #6
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,975
    i would wait until the entire quilt is finished and then block it.

    the sections that are too long use spray starch to reduce the size and the sections that are too short use water to increase the length.

    i typically do this on a floor but you can also block on a wall - its all a matter of where you have enough space to lay out the quilt.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Others may have better ideas but I think I would get it wet and then lay a sheet on the carpet and pin the section to the size you need to be square/even and let it air dry. I'm confident you will work it out:)
    Ahhh..so that's what blocking is? Thanks! I wonder if I should do it now...or wait until the rest is on? Do I just kind of squish it up into place and pin?

    Ironing... yes--that's possible I stretched it. I'll be more careful!! Thanks for that reminder.

  8. #8
    Super Member BluegrassGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    That is a beautiful quilt!!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i would wait until the entire quilt is finished and then block it.

    the sections that are too long use spray starch to reduce the size and the sections that are too short use water to increase the length.

    i typically do this on a floor but you can also block on a wall - its all a matter of where you have enough space to lay out the quilt.
    Okay!! Great! Thank you! I think I only have sections that are too short ...but wetting the other will help them to compromise? This is only a wall hanging, so it should fit wherever I need it to.

    I appreciate your help! I was bumming. :|

  10. #10
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,682
    So far it is beautiful, can't wait to see it finished.

  11. #11
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,743
    Absolutely stunning!

  12. #12
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    These relate to blocks not quilts, but these Sharon Schamber videos present some options.

    I can't find the video where she was squaring a quilt - not trimming it, but squaring the quilt center, then the inner borders, and then the outer ones, making sure there were perfect 90 degree corners at each step.. I'm thinking it might be within one of her other videos.....sorry.

    But the concept is the same. Watch these videos about manipulating blocks into submission (without trimming)
    and you might find these methods work for your situation.
    It would be a shame to whack off any of your lovely masterpiece.
    (Some have 2 parts.)

    Shrinking block part 1 of 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aplw_tVZc

    How to true a block part 1 or 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3RIWhBvcA

    Stretching a block
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkF02vpVuw

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    MTS--thank you so much for taking the time to help me learn!! I'm going to watch them now. :-D

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    west allis, wisconsin
    Posts
    430
    i think it is really pretty.

  15. #15
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    MTS--thank you so much for taking the time to help me learn!! I'm going to watch them now. :-D
    She's brilliant. Your quilt is only off a bit. It's not horrible at all, especially considering all the vertical seams.
    I'm thinking starch is definitely in your future. :wink:
    I heart starch.

  16. #16
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,654
    It is really beautiful. I'll remain hopeful that you can fix it to your liking.

  17. #17
    Super Member LeeAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,071
    Blocking will definitely take care of it. It's not as bad as you think. I would finish it and then do the blocking. Beautiful quilt!

  18. #18
    Junior Member Jennifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    200
    You could "tighten" the last two horizontal seams in the stretched area. This should even it out as well.

  19. #19
    Super Member Airwick156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    3,558
    Blog Entries
    6
    That is really turning out beautifully. I'm sure you will get it straight. And even if you don't...even persian rugs purposely have a flaw somewhere in it. :)

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    MTS--thank you so much for taking the time to help me learn!! I'm going to watch them now. :-D
    She's brilliant. Your quilt is only off a bit. It's not horrible at all, especially considering all the vertical seams.
    I'm thinking starch is definitely in your future. :wink:
    I heart starch.
    I watched it all and you're so right--I'll be stopping in at Joanne's for some of this magical stuff!! :-D She said it doesn't work if the block is in the quilt, but I think in this case, it ought to work fine. I'll just work with the bottom row. I never knew starch could do this. Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks again! You gave me hope and made my smile bigger. :-D :mrgreen:

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn
    Blocking will definitely take care of it. It's not as bad as you think. I would finish it and then do the blocking. Beautiful quilt!
    Oh I needed your encouraging words!! Thanks! :-D

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,891
    Blog Entries
    5
    Fix it as best you can then cut it even if you need to. That quilt will be so gorgeous that no one will ever think of looking for a mistake!!! Don't know if I like this better than the log cabin but I would be ecstatic if I made anything half as beautiful.

  23. #23
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,204
    oh wow, that is gorgeous! You do great things with florals.

  24. #24
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    I watched it all and you're so right--I'll be stopping in at Joanne's for some of this magical stuff!! :-D She said it doesn't work if the block is in the quilt, but I think in this case, it ought to work fine. I'll just work with the bottom row.
    I thought it might as you don't really have blocks in the traditional sense - it's almost like treating your entire quilt as one big block.

    And starch is readily available at your supermarket or local CVS. I use the Heavy Duty Niagra brand, but there are as many opinions on that as there are about everything else. ;) ;)

    Can't wait to see the finished product.

  25. #25
    Power Poster debcavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Green,WI
    Posts
    14,630
    I would try to block it and if that fails cut it off square and put borders on. Every one who sees it will think that is how it is suppose to be

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.