Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble with the floral Bargello...1/2 done, but uneven at the end...

Blog Entries
    This didn't happen with the first Bargello I made, but there's one thing I forgot to do in the first 1/4 because I was excited to get some done to see how it'd look...I forgot to sew rows from opposite ends. Is that what caused this uneven end? :|
    I finished the 2nd half today and did alternate the sewing, and maybe the second half isn't as bad?

1. How can I prevent this from happening for the next half?

2. How should I fix it? Once it's all together, just square it off where I can?

one half done--look at the bottom side
    Name:  Attachment-174014.jpe
Views: 134
Size:  89.3 KB

Sigh...it looks like most the trouble is with the skinny rows.
    Name:  Attachment-174015.jpe
Views: 139
Size:  93.2 KB

All the other sides are straight.
    Name:  Attachment-174016.jpe
Views: 150
Size:  108.9 KB

It looks like you may have stretched a few seams while pressing. You may want to mist it , and block it back into shape.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    It looks like you may have stretched a few seams while pressing. You may want to mist it , and block it back into shape.
    Thanks for your help. How do I block it?

You might be able to block that side to get it in line. It's not that off. It sure is a beauty.

Blog Entries
    Others may have better ideas but I think I would get it wet and then lay a sheet on the carpet and pin the section to the size you need to be square/even and let it air dry. I'm confident you will work it out:)

i would wait until the entire quilt is finished and then block it.

the sections that are too long use spray starch to reduce the size and the sections that are too short use water to increase the length.

i typically do this on a floor but you can also block on a wall - its all a matter of where you have enough space to lay out the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Others may have better ideas but I think I would get it wet and then lay a sheet on the carpet and pin the section to the size you need to be square/even and let it air dry. I'm confident you will work it out:)
    Ahhh..so that's what blocking is? Thanks! I wonder if I should do it now...or wait until the rest is on? Do I just kind of squish it up into place and pin?

Ironing... yes--that's possible I stretched it. I'll be more careful!! Thanks for that reminder.

Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful quilt!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i would wait until the entire quilt is finished and then block it.

the sections that are too long use spray starch to reduce the size and the sections that are too short use water to increase the length.

i typically do this on a floor but you can also block on a wall - its all a matter of where you have enough space to lay out the quilt.
    Okay!! Great! Thank you! I think I only have sections that are too short ...but wetting the other will help them to compromise? This is only a wall hanging, so it should fit wherever I need it to.

I appreciate your help! I was bumming. :|

So far it is beautiful, can't wait to see it finished.

Absolutely stunning!

MTS
    Banned
    These relate to blocks not quilts, but these Sharon Schamber videos present some options.

I can't find the video where she was squaring a quilt - not trimming it, but squaring the quilt center, then the inner borders, and then the outer ones, making sure there were perfect 90 degree corners at each step.. I'm thinking it might be within one of her other videos.....sorry.

But the concept is the same. Watch these videos about manipulating blocks into submission (without trimming)
    and you might find these methods work for your situation.
    It would be a shame to whack off any of your lovely masterpiece.
    (Some have 2 parts.)

Shrinking block part 1 of 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aplw_tVZc

How to true a block part 1 or 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3RIWhBvcA

Stretching a block
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkF02vpVuw

Blog Entries
    MTS--thank you so much for taking the time to help me learn!! I'm going to watch them now. :-D

i think it is really pretty.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    MTS--thank you so much for taking the time to help me learn!! I'm going to watch them now. :-D
    She's brilliant. Your quilt is only off a bit. It's not horrible at all, especially considering all the vertical seams.
    I'm thinking starch is definitely in your future. :wink:
    I heart starch.

It is really beautiful. I'll remain hopeful that you can fix it to your liking.

Blocking will definitely take care of it. It's not as bad as you think. I would finish it and then do the blocking. Beautiful quilt!

You could "tighten" the last two horizontal seams in the stretched area. This should even it out as well.

Blog Entries
    That is really turning out beautifully. I'm sure you will get it straight. And even if you don't...even persian rugs purposely have a flaw somewhere in it. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    She's brilliant. Your quilt is only off a bit. It's not horrible at all, especially considering all the vertical seams.
    I'm thinking starch is definitely in your future. :wink:
    I heart starch.
    I watched it all and you're so right--I'll be stopping in at Joanne's for some of this magical stuff!! :-D She said it doesn't work if the block is in the quilt, but I think in this case, it ought to work fine. I'll just work with the bottom row. I never knew starch could do this. Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again! You gave me hope and made my smile bigger. :-D :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn
    Blocking will definitely take care of it. It's not as bad as you think. I would finish it and then do the blocking. Beautiful quilt!
    Oh I needed your encouraging words!! Thanks! :-D

Blog Entries
    Fix it as best you can then cut it even if you need to. That quilt will be so gorgeous that no one will ever think of looking for a mistake!!! Don't know if I like this better than the log cabin but I would be ecstatic if I made anything half as beautiful.

oh wow, that is gorgeous! You do great things with florals.

MTS
    Banned
    I watched it all and you're so right--I'll be stopping in at Joanne's for some of this magical stuff!! :-D She said it doesn't work if the block is in the quilt, but I think in this case, it ought to work fine. I'll just work with the bottom row.
    I thought it might as you don't really have blocks in the traditional sense - it's almost like treating your entire quilt as one big block.

And starch is readily available at your supermarket or local CVS. I use the Heavy Duty Niagra brand, but there are as many opinions on that as there are about everything else. ;) ;)

Can't wait to see the finished product.

I would try to block it and if that fails cut it off square and put borders on. Every one who sees it will think that is how it is suppose to be

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast