Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
UFOs: when did you start your oldest project? >

UFOs: when did you start your oldest project?

UFOs: when did you start your oldest project?

Old 01-16-2023, 01:20 PM

Default UFOs: when did you start your oldest project?

Long ago in the year 2011 I participated in the BOW of the "Civil War Quilt", all over the world many quilters waited for the new block every Saturday! I sewed 48 blocks, made the quilt with sashing and border and batting and backing and then....
there were so many other project and my Civil War Quilt waited for quilting .... and waited...... and waited.....
BUT NOW: I started the year with quilting this quilt!!! And now the binding: the binding??? where is the fabric I bought a long time ago for this quilt??? I think the fabric was used for other projects.....So I must buy new fabric!
Attached Thumbnails januar-2023-2-.jpg  
Old 01-16-2023, 01:44 PM
Gay

My oldest ufo was started around 2006, a crazy patch with a butterfly embroidered in the centre, which was my first created design for the emb. machine. Since then I have a DWR and the 365 Day Challenge boxed away somewhere. At the moment am halfway through a second Ringo Lake by Bonnie Hunter, and quilting for a customer, so perhaps when they are done I might pull out the others and finish.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:50 PM

I think my oldest UFO is from 2017- it was a temperature quilt that I designed with all HSTs. All that's left to do is put borders on it and quilt it. But I stalled because I became convinced that the borders needed to contain a key-- now, I think I could skip that and also maybe skip the borders LOL. I also have one of my sculptural quilts from 1982 or 3 that I've been wanting to restore- some of the fabrics have disintegrated over the years, not to mention it's somehow gotten some stains on it...

Rob
Old 01-16-2023, 03:16 PM

I think my oldest UFO is from 2012, but it's by no means the only one. It's a Walk in the Park from a Jenny Doan video, and I have all the fabric. The top is sewn, and I actually like it as much as I did when I first saw it. We moved and it got packed and then there were other distractions. Someday soon...

Old 01-17-2023, 03:26 AM

My oldest UFO dates back to the mid-1980s. It's a white on white 12" square hand quilting piece - the quilting lines are preprinted onto the white. After I found it buried at the bottom of a drawer, I've been taking it with me to my monthly guild meetings and work on it sporadically. It's almost finished, thank goodness, because it needs to be washed after all these years of handling it. Can't do that, of course, until I bind it.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1000scraps View Post
Long ago in the year 2011 I participated in the BOW of the "Civil War Quilt", all over the world many quilters waited for the new block every Saturday! I sewed 48 blocks, made the quilt with sashing and border and batting and backing and then....
there were so many other project and my Civil War Quilt waited for quilting .... and waited...... and waited.....
BUT NOW: I started the year with quilting this quilt!!! And now the binding: the binding??? where is the fabric I bought a long time ago for this quilt??? I think the fabric was used for other projects.....So I must buy new fabric!
I've got an applique top from 2009: my excuse is I think I'm finally getting the longarm skills to complete it!
Old 01-17-2023, 03:49 AM

I started my oldest UFO last Tuesday. It's a rag quilt that I need to take to the laundromat to wash to make it fray. My personal rule is that I don't start a new project until I finish the current one. I don't like leaving things unfinished.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
I started my oldest UFO last Tuesday. It's a rag quilt that I need to take to the laundromat to wash to make it fray. My personal rule is that I don't start a new project until I finish the current one. I don't like leaving things unfinished.
I am mostly like that too! My quilty friends tease me. I do have one project about 15 years old that is made up of Joann fabric blocks of the month that I bought on a whim on close out. I got enough kits to make a quilt but some of the fabric is just awful. I got some French fuse to help. It isn't hidden and I will finish it. Just because.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I think a burgundy and dusty rose strip would look nice for binding. Great quilt but good luck finding dusty rose fabric as the colour palettes of fabric co. have changed so much. it’s all Barbie pink now.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:40 AM

It depends what you consider a UFO. I have several quilts that need quilting but have the backing and the binding all cut and ready to go. I also have many many kits that have come that way or I have assembled after buying the pattern and fabric.
My only UFO that has been started, and is only half finished, is probably from somewhere between 2009-11 and is a Christmas tree skirt. I still like it and actually thought about finishing it after the project I am currently working on, which will empty my bin of pastel flannel scraps.
resized-poinsetta-tree-skirt.jpgresized-tree-skirt2.jpg