Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A Very Sad & Disappointing Story with A Happy Ending >

A Very Sad & Disappointing Story with A Happy Ending

A Very Sad & Disappointing Story with A Happy Ending

Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 AM

So glad your quilt has a loving home. I don't think some people realize how much love and care goes into our work. well done for being so courageous to ask for it back.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 AM
Power Poster

Yep, it is in it's rightful home now, where it will be much loved and used as intended.

So sorry the other young lady wasn't so appreciative, that's sad.

BTW, it is darling!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:27 AM

Thanks everyone for your generous compliments and support. That was probably the hardest thing I had ever done, taking the quilt back. I really avoid confrontation at all costs. While I realize that not everyone likes or wants a homemade quilt, common curtousey(sp) is still appreciated. The pattern is a double irish chain (I think) for those that have asked, and the stars and hearts were freehand cutouts of various fabrics. I am so glad that my family on the board did not ostrasize me for my decision on taking back the quilt, but, they are meant to be used and loved, not discarded like yesterday's newspaper. Again, thankyou to all you wonderful board members.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:41 AM

I love Happy Endings!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
We all get anxious when we give quilts as gifts, and have had some less than joyous results. I gave this baby quilt as a shower gift 2 years ago to my DD's best friend. When she opened it, she said "OH" and put it aside. Now this young lady is somewhat of a SNOT and I thought "hopefully she likes it". Well she continued to Ooh and Ahh over other various gifts and the knot in the pit of my stomach continued to grow. Afterwards, I was talking to her Mother and discovered the wedding quilt (memory quilt) I had made her resided at her Mother's as the young lady really didn't care for it, it didn't fit in with her black and chrome decor. So I went up to the young lady, holding my breath as I did, and asked her if the quilt matched her nursery and almost fell down with her reply " I had really hoped for a quilt off my registery, that's why we registered our gifts." Little rude ingrate... I told her I would take the quilt back and find her something else and she said "Oh would you...I really like the monkeys and jungle themes." So I took the quilt and thanked her Mother for being honest with me and left. And NO, I didn't get her another gift. Now for the happy ending...a young lady at work is due in a couple of weeks and being I was off for so long recovering from shoulder surgery, I was kinda out of the loop for the shower. I removed the label and added a new one, plus removed the binding and added a new one. I gave it to her yesterday and she loved it, and thanked me in tears. Obviously, this is where this little quilt was meant to be. It may not be my finest piece of work, but, I know it will be loved and used.
I REALLY CANNOT BELIEVE HOW RUDE PEOPLE CAN BE IN THIS DAY IN TIME.I AM SOOOO GLAD IT FOUND A GOOD HOME.MY GRANDMOTHER ALWAYS SAID (YOU NEVER FLY TO HIGH UNTILL YOU HAVE TO LAND SOMEWHRE) HER DAY WILL COME TO THE SNOODY LADY.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by arkansasquilter123
Just goes to show, not everyone is "worthy" of a handmade quilt.....but some people are. Thank goodness this quilt went to the "right" home!!!
Ditto
Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 AM

The quilt you made is beautiful also like the blue one underneath it. Obviously her mother didn't teach her any manners. Always taught my children to say thank you even if was something they already had.

Joanne
Old 07-22-2011, 03:43 AM

The quilt is adorable. It went to the right place.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
what a darling quilt, what a mannerless jerk, she did not deserve a gift at all. Her mother should hang her head in shame too, she raised her.
Oh, well said! Totally agree .
Old 07-22-2011, 03:57 AM

OMG are you kidding me? This is a precious quilt. I am glad it found a deserving home, and glad you are back to work from your shoulder surgery. I am 1day post op from mine, not a good night. My dr told me first week is pretty bad, ( he actually said horrible). One day down 6 more to go : ). I love the pattern of your quilt will you share the name?