Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Waves in quilt.

Baby quilt for a girl DH works with. There are waves around the edges and in the quilt, any suggestions on how to get them out if possible? Any suggestions would be appriciated. Any ideas what causes this?

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The soft colours of your quilt make it so nice and baby like!

Blog Entries
    pretty quilt
    about the waves, it might have stretched. Take it to the ironing board, steam and starch it to shrink back into shape

Wash it, stretch and pin it to the carpet. That might help. I don't think I'd worry about it. It is beautiful and when the baby is using it the quilt will be just perfect. I think it is lovely.

realy nice. sortof peppy, yet quiet and cozy. Good Job

PS I have had that sort of issue. Found out I had to measure through the center lengthwise as well as along the edges, maybe even a couple of other measurements, then figure the average of all these measurements. Finally, cut the side borders to that length and ease the quilt to the border. Helps to pin ends and centers, also the quarters, etc. Same for the horizontal borders. Did this make sense? Hope so! They usually come out pretty well for me now. Happy Quilting.

no quilt police here - just enjoy it!! it's very pretty!!

Really cute quilt, but sorry, I don't know why that happened. Maybe washing it would fix the problem. It's a mystery

I learned the hard way that when you iron the blocks & each row of sashing can cause them to stretch or distort. It is always better to press instead of ironing back & forth. spray starch & pressing it may help. It is a beautiful quilt & the baby will love it no matter what.

I think it is beautiful just the way it is.

How did you measure the borders when you put them on? The quilt should be measured in at least two different places for the width and the length, and then the borders cut that size. If you just sew the borders on without measuring, (ie: just taking a strip and sewing until you get to the end) your borders will be wavy. Did you measure both the top and the bottom and make sure they were the same size? How about the sides? Are they the same length? You would be surprised how much fabric changes its size, especially if you use a steam iron instead of a dry iron. If you find a difference in the length or widths of the quilt, you can always redo the borders. That should take care of the waves, if that is the problem. Good luck, and irregardless, it is a very pretty quilt.

joy
    What I would do..........
    Take off both borders separately.
    measure quilt top with no borders on, once through the middle, up and down, and take note of the measurement... cut the first border to that length and sew on sides... then measurement once through the middle side to side... take note of that measurement, cut second border to that length and sew on top and bottom..... THEN do the same to the other two borders, in the same order I have written down... looks like you have not measured in that way as that is what causes the wavy material. tell me how I know LOL...........

Usually the borders are cut too long when this happens. I usually measure the edges and cut the border that exact length. Had a professional tell me that when I was procrastinating adding the border to a kind size quilt. When I used her method it came out nice and flat and perfect!! Be sure to measure each edge in case they are not exactly the same. Hope it works as it is a beautiful baby quilt!

Blog Entries
    once it is quilted, bound and washed it will be fine- just smooth it as you go along- quilting so you do not stitch wrinkles into it.

Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    PS I have had that sort of issue. Found out I had to measure through the center lengthwise as well as along the edges, maybe even a couple of other measurements, then figure the average of all these measurements. Finally, cut the side borders to that length and ease the quilt to the border. Helps to pin ends and centers, also the quarters, etc. Same for the horizontal borders. Did this make sense? Hope so! They usually come out pretty well for me now. Happy Quilting.
    Adding border strips without measuring first (make it fit) is a common problem. I like to block to ease in fullness. I spray and mush it into place. Let it dry undisturbed. Heavier quilting in the full areas will take up the extra.

Banned
    I have a page (Preparing your Quilt) on my website on how to deal with this issue, if you care to read it here:
    http://www.createdbycj.com/preparing-your-quilt/

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    once it is quilted, bound and washed it will be fine- just smooth it as you go along- quilting so you do not stitch wrinkles into it.
    And how do you smooth it and not have wrinkles ... when there are waves in it?

My thoughts would be to take off the borders as suggested by a PP .... and see how flat it is lying. Give it a good pressing ... and perhaps this is where starch may be helpful to stretch it a little and snug it up in others alittle. WAtch though that you are keeping it all square.

You may find this alone gets it back to flat and square. Then do the borders, carefully .... as suggested. Machine baste on first and check all is flat and good ... then final stitch!

Blog Entries
    nope. the only thing to do now is to wet it and "block" it to make it nice and flat. then put layers together and quilt it. should work.

Blog Entries
    I don't think this will be a big problem if it is to be quilted on a LAM. When it is stretched on the rollers this minor distortion will work its' way out. Very nice work. In the future try using startch or sizing before you cut your pre-washed fabric. This will help stop the material from losing its' shape. Keep up the good work!

Gal
    I had this problem with my first quilt because of the bias edges stretching, my friend showed me how to quit in the piano key style edge, which helped a lot, I did not have to undo anything.

Gal

Thank you for all your replys. I used starch and then ironed it, it looks alot better now, still some waves but not as bad. I'll show pictures as soon as Im finished with it. :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    I agree.

In the future do as the other members suggested and measure in a couple different spots through the middle of your quilt. Take the average and sew on borders. This should help with the "waves"

But this particular quilt I would just starch it really well and quilt it.