Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Why did I spend $1.00 on this?

Too funny, I like the idea of making some stuffed bears or something like that. Before and after pictures required for the great story behind the animals.
    Make A Good Day!
    Janice P. Roy

No if you don't like it donate it. There is someone out there who will love it.

Kat

I love it and thinks it charming. Plus, it needed a home. I see there are many women here that would be happy to take it off you hands. LOL!
    Believe, it can be done!

Quilt the heck out of it! Once quited, square it up, bind & love it.
    I'll take it off your hands...dollar plus postage?
    Marge
    Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
    1. Every kind of fabric under the sun,
    2. no 2 blocks are square
    3. no points meet
    4. no seams match
    5. stitches by hand and machine, no rhyme or reason.
    6. no overall design

I don't even know why I bought it and now i don't know what to do with it. Maybe the round file?
    Any suggestions?
    Attachment 343418 Attachment 343420 Attachment 343421 Attachment 343422 Attachment 343423
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
    You will be glad to hear, I have taken it apart, the fabric is really strong, not dry rotted. I squared up the blocks and now I will resash them and put them together and border it. will post pics later.
    So glad you decided to do this. I can't wait to see the finished product. I think you are going to love it.

I would have bought that for $1. Maybe even more. I love vintage fabric and someone else's blocks

I would go ahead put a thick batting in it and stitch it up, You might be surprised how you can hide some of that excess. I just inherited one similar and it came out pretty well, I just stitched in the ditch. Sorry no pics it went to a college kid that fell in love with it.

Blog Entries
    This is a real quilt. It was made from what the person had, not what they could buy, which they probably could not afford to buy anything. It is not a color coordinated one like they are today. It was made with love and labor. It's a genuine beautiful quilt. People used to use what they had and it is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to have it and please do not use it for a dog's bed or put it in the trash. I would be glad to buy it from you for more than a $1.

Blog Entries
    Maybe the person was going blind and just didn't want to give up making quilts. happy quilt

Numbers one through six hmmmm, could describe many of my quilts , They are still used and loved even if they posess the 1-6 qualities. These reasons are why I will not post my photos, not because I am ashamed but because I know many would cringe hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney60 View Post
    Maybe the person was going blind and just didn't want to give up making quilts. happy quilt
    I have some pin cushions and potholders made by a blind patient I took care of . Every morning I threaded 20-30 needles and pined them to her dress. I cherish these things she made me

Blog Entries
    So far, this is what I've done, not one single rip during the process. The fabric is strong, by the way I see at least 6 colors of thread, at different weights.
    Name:  13-1-DSCN4514.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  172.9 KB Name:  11-DSCN4531.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  183.2 KB Name:  12-DSCN4529.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  132.0 KB
    Just passing through!

I would finish it just like it is, place batting and inexpensive backing and binding, quick quiltling and give it to Goodwill. Bet it will find a forever home.
    Live, Love, Laugh.......it is what it is.

I would definitely keep this quilt top and finish it with like binding and backing. It would be perfect for a vacation cabin bed or one to proudly display on an old white iron bed in a guest room. Like others who have commented, you can see the love that went into this quilt top. I think we lose sight of the period of time when fabric was NOT plentiful and quilters were resourceful out of necerssity. They worked with what they had and their work was cherished by their family members. I have a small area rug that was made by one of my aunts. This rug was made of old wool winter coats. There are a lot of miles on that rug and I love it. I also have an un-finished quilt top that my mother made when she was a young mother. Every piece of fabric in the appliqued blocks are from dresses, aprons and curtains that my grandmother made. I suspect my grandchildren will fight over this one if I ever get it finished.
    Last edited by Piecemaker2008; 06-25-2012 at 08:28 AM.

It must have been speaking to you because you bought it. I think it has some potential, I'm sure you or someone else will find something to do with it.
    will quilt 4EVER

You did us all a favor. If you had not done it I would have. You show great signs of being a leader and with great sacrifice you give so all of us don't have to.....Thank you so much for showing us how to fix it up and donate to someone who just lost everything with either the fires or floods.

Power Poster
    Looks great!

Blog Entries
    You just had to rescue it, good for you. I'm sure you will get some ideas as to what to do with it.

quilt it as is-it is a nice piece of history -imperfections and all
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I've seen quite a few pictures of quilts that you have quilted. I'm pretty sure that you will make this quilt beautiful. Please post picture when you've finished it.

Blog Entries
    The reason you ought it...you knew the hours and time that went i.to it and didnt want to see it in the grash.

Looks like a utility quilt......my mother and gmother made this pattern often and used scraps left from sewing garments and the unworn part of dresses and shirts.

Well worth the $ to me.

delma

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7