Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Will the Real 15 clone please stand up >

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Love your 15 clone BoJangles - the decals are fantastic and that faceplate!!!!

Joann
Old 02-14-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Here is my Sew Eze...a true 15 Clone. Still working on the tension assembly...it seems "off" somehow. The little wire is wrong, and it keeps catching the thread coming down from the take up arm. But she'll be a real prize as soon as I can get that worked out.
jljack,

The little wire on your machine is NOT wrong. I have two and both of them are that way. There is more than one style of spring. Here is a picture of my HOTHER threaded correctly with red thread.

To thread the machine:
The thread from the spool goes to the thread guide on the back side of the face plate
Then down to the outside of the tensioner
Under the bottom of the tensioner then up and over the outside of the curved thread guide
Then under the bottom of the thead spring
From the spring up to the outside of the thread take-up lever
Then from the take-up lever down to the faceplate guide
Then to the guide on the needle arm
Then to the needle from the outside in, left to right as you're facing the machine.

I hope this helps.

Joe
Old 02-14-2012, 04:53 PM

One more comment. As I've been looking at all the beautiful machines I noticed that many of them have the presser foot down on the feed dogs. In many of the owners manuals I have there is a caution to not store the machines with the presser foot down on the feed dogs or to run the machine with the presser foot down and no material under the foot.
To keep the metal to metal contact to a bare minimum I make a little pad out of denim to put between the foot and feed dogs. You can see this pad in the pic above.

This is just a suggestion as I've replaced many presser feet that are badly scored by running on the dogs with nothing between them.

Joe
Old 02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Muv has a video about threading a Singer 15 - it also applies to the Japanese 15 clones!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tii...re=uploademail get yourself a nice cup of tea and enjoy!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
One more comment. As I've been looking at all the beautiful machines I noticed that many of them have the presser foot down on the feed dogs. In many of the owners manuals I have there is a caution to not store the machines with the presser foot down on the feed dogs or to run the machine with the presser foot down and no material under the foot.
To keep the metal to metal contact to a bare minimum I make a little pad out of denim to put between the foot and feed dogs. You can see this pad in the pic above.

This is just a suggestion as I've replaced many presser feet that are badly scored by running on the dogs with nothing between them.

Joe
good point - where did you replace so many presser feet? I've replaced presser feet with scars from the needle stabbing - I had one that looked like a star it had so many burrs.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:15 PM

wow lots of very preety sewing machines out there
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM

Bojangles, the turquoise Morse is very pretty.

I took the faceplate off the Universal and it won't go back on. I've played with it off and on all day, but it refuses to line up. Grr.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:33 PM

So, now back to the regularly scheduled program:

Here are the pics of my HA-1 15 clones;

HOTHER:

The HOTHER was my mothers machine and she sewed on it for decades. Towards the late 80s it started giving her trouble so she retired it when she bought a cabinet machine. Later she gave it to my wife. Somewhere about 90 or 91 we took her Singer 538 and the HOTHER to my late uncle Charlie who owned his own sewing machine shop. He fixed the HOTHER right up for us. After that she ended up on the bottom shelf of a wooden shelving unit in the sewing room. This shelf was against a wall that adjoined the bathroom. Unknown to use the bath tub had developed a rust hole and leaked. The water seeped under the wall and the shelf unit soaked it up. The HOTHER in it's case was on the bottom shelf and also soaked up a lot of water. The old paper/fabric on the case molded and the bottom warped and the latches rusted. But somehow inside the HOTHER endured unscathed. About three months ago I dug the HOTHER off the shelve and with great dread pulled the case of her. I was thrilled. NO rust. I plugged her in and she worked. YAYYYYYYY. Unfortunately the motor wires were melted. A chemical action I think.
So I put a new motor on her and bought a used case at the local sewing machine shop. I'm working on restoring the original case but other things get in the way.
Until I get the original case finished the HOTHER will live happily in the PHAFF case.

EDISON:

We actually bid on the EDISON because it came with a complete set of attachments, a button holer, a zig-zager, a bunch of bobbins and an instruction manual for the machine and the attachments. The machine is really nice looking to but that was secondary.
The auction house said pick up only so we made a day of it and drove to Terre Haute, IN to pick it up.
When we got it in the back of my Pathfinder I was looking through all the stuff inside and I noticed a ton of bent and broken needles inside the machine case. That was a big precursor to what was to come.
When we got it home I noticed there was an interference fit between the presser foot and the needle thread guide. The feed dogs were also miss-adjusted and were impacting on the needle plate.
I used Singer 15 instructions to do some adjusting and as soon as the presser foot, needle shaft and feed dogs were adjusted I tried to sew with it. NO WAY. This poor machine was also very much out of time. So I put it back for later attention. Another project for a rainy (snowy) day.

SEWMORE 404:

This machine just got here yesterday. This is what I found when we cut open the bubble wrap. The bottom of the case had litterally fallen apart. The top was in better shape but was also damaged.
From the photos from the sellers I knew the case was in bad shape but I hoped it would get to me intact. Oh well, I have lots of Elmers wood glue.
This machine is a kind of a cross between the Singer 66s with a couple features of the 15s. I'll get her cleaned up tomorrow and see if the LSMG has a case I can buy. Then I'll know for sure if she'll sew or if I'll have to coax and cajole her. More than likely I'll have to whisper sweat nothings in her hand wheel as I clean and oil her.

I want a blue one next.

Joe
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
good point - where did you replace so many presser feet? I've replaced presser feet with scars from the needle stabbing - I had one that looked like a star it had so many burrs.
Miriam,

One of the first things I check when we get a new machine is the presser foot. In the last couple three months I've found at least five of those we bought had damaged presser feet. The SEWMORE I just got is really bad. Looks as if they actually ran the machine with the foot down on the feed dogs. So, I replace them.

I've found some that are pock marked on the top from needles too. My HOTHER foot is like that. I polished that down a bit and ran the bottom over some ceramic polishing plates to touch it up. It wasn't really bad.

Joe
Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Oh NO Muv's video about how to work a Japanese 15 doesn't come up. I'll have to look for it again. Muv? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tii...eature=channel
ok here we go - this one came up for me.