Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine quilting with clear thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-clear-thread-t101691.html)

dfd1231 02-21-2011 08:14 AM

I am machine quilting a sue bonnet quilt on machine using clear thread. I filled my bobbin with clear thread also. However, the bobbin (under neath) is knotting up and making a complete mess. Should I use white cotton thread in the bobbin? The backing of the quilt is muslin. What do I do? Thanks!

gal288 02-21-2011 08:18 AM

You can use the clear thread in the bottom but it must be wound very slowly as it stretches. Re do the bobbin, winding at half the speed usually done. Also, check the tension, sometimes it needs to be adjusted.

mytwopals 02-21-2011 08:20 AM

Most machines have difficulty with invisible thread in the bobbin. This is due to the invisible thread stretching, when using a bobbin winder. When it relaxes again during sewing, it will curl and knot up. I have never tried it. But I have heard you can wind your bobbins by hand and it will correct the problem. I use a normal thread in the bobbin, wenever I use invisible thread on top.

grammysews4u 02-21-2011 08:21 AM

I usually have to change my tension. but I usually use reg. thread on the bobbin. Less headaches!

donnajean 02-21-2011 08:32 AM

I've done it both ways - invisibie or regular thread in bobbin.

seamstome 02-21-2011 08:48 AM

REgular thread in the bottom will fix the problem, otherwise it is a real pain to work with.

Maride 02-21-2011 08:52 AM

I never do clear thread in the bottom. Only on the top when necessary. I don't see the benefit of using clear thread, since it is visible no matter what. You are making holes on the fabric and this thread is not thin, so the holes are quite big. I tend to press my quilts after quilting and before squaring to make sure is straight, and most clear threads melt at high temperatures.

Lori S 02-21-2011 09:00 AM

I have the best success when using regular thread in the bobbin. Do a bit of testing to get the top tension right. Some clear or inviasble threads I have to reduce the tension ALOT. some I only have to adjust by a tiny bit. I also use a very small needle in my machine as the invisable thread is thinner than regular thread. Using a top stitch needle will make a much bigger hole than you need and sometimes you will get skipped stitches.

pieces 02-21-2011 09:04 AM

I have used clear monofilament thread on the bobbin with no problems. But Quilts for Kids stresses not to use this thread because it melts in the dryer. (?) So have not used it since.

Lori S 02-21-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
I have used clear monofilament thread on the bobbin with no problems. But Quilts for Kids stresses not to use this thread because it melts in the dryer. (?) So have not used it since.

FYI - Superior Threads has a invisable thread specifically made for High heat !