Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Gift of Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gift-quilting-t104175.html)

PatQuilts 03-01-2011 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 89-year old mom has been in a nursing home the past two years. Dementia and Parkinson's have forced her to quit quilting--something that she has done all her life. At least one afternoon each weekend I visit mom and do some hand quilting. I've found it calms her when she is not having a good day. She seems to love that her daughter continues the tradition.

We sit in a public area in the home and other residents have started to join us. The nurses bring some of the Alzheimer's patients to join us. It all is very informal. Some people are able to talk about sewing, quilting, family,etc. while others just seem to enjoy watching my hands, touching the fabric or hearing about my plans for finishing a project. This has been my little way to add a little cheer to their lives. Actually, they are giving me the most precious gift--some wonderful memories with my mom and a chance to get to know some very special people.

My current project is finishing nine vintage dresden blocks that were given to my mom decades ago.

sueisallaboutquilts 03-01-2011 04:06 PM

Patquilts, what a wonderful story. I love the blocks you are finishing.
Welcome to the board!! Sorry your Mom isn't well but it sounds like you bring her a lot of joy, and all the others :)

Jim's Gem 03-01-2011 04:07 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

What a wonderful thing for you to spend time with your mother and the others in her "home"

Pzazz 03-01-2011 04:09 PM

What special memories you are making!!! And you are so right that there are some wonderful people in retirement homes. I stayed with my mom for 6 weeks after my dad passed. I got to know so many of the residents....they became like extended family. I am so happy for you to be able to have this time with your mom, and all your new found "family".

Hugs to you and your mom.

Patti

Unique Creations 03-01-2011 04:10 PM

What a wonderful thing you are doing!! God bless you!!

carolaug 03-01-2011 04:27 PM

That is awesome! I bet you really make their day when you visit!

RUSewing 03-01-2011 04:32 PM

welcome from Oklahoma. What blessings abound.

Stitchalong 03-01-2011 04:46 PM

Wonderful story. You have found a special way to keep connected with your mom.

susie-susie-susie 03-01-2011 04:46 PM

What a beautiful story. I'm sure that you bring a lot of joy to the residents there. I especially liked the comment that some just like to touch the fabric. Isn't that what we all do sometimes, just touch the fabric?
Sue

bkb 03-01-2011 05:20 PM

YEAH YEAH YEAH as a nurse from many years in nursing homes I salute you!!!! I know that you are appreciated whether or not they tell you. May God just pour blessings on you.