Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cancer Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cancer-quilt-question-t106382.html)

cowpie2 03-09-2011 03:38 PM

I am going to assemble a memory/hug quilt for a coworker that has just been diagnosed with cancer. Several people in the office will be contributing blocks and I'll assemble the whole thing. I plan to use flannel for the back and want to make the quilt snuggle but not unweldy. I'm sure there will be many opinions but I need help deciding on the batting. Quilters Dream Puff, Warm and Natural or the Bamboo batting. What do you all think? It will be a laying on the couch cover up or to go with to Chemo/Radiation treatments.

Lobster 03-09-2011 03:44 PM

If portability is an issue, you want somethng fairly lightweight and non-bulky. Cotton is flat and warm, but a bit heavier. A thin poly, perhaps? I haven't worked with bamboo, though I hear it's very warm.

RUSewing 03-09-2011 03:44 PM

IMO, Warm and Natural. Also recently I read to prewash flannel 3 times to prevent shrinkage.

Lobster 03-09-2011 03:50 PM

I used flannel for the first time recently for a basic baby quilt. Flannel top, flannel backing, my usual QD poly request weight (the lowest loft) batting. It was a great deal heavier than my usual quilts of that size. It'll provide good warmth, though, so I'm coming round to a really thin poly batting as a good option here.

kem77 03-09-2011 03:53 PM

I think the lighter you go the better. There is alot of strengh problems during that time and sickness. So it has to be washed some times and not hard to carry. The flannel will make the warmth. I wish you and them the best of luck ahead.

milp04 03-09-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by cowpie2
I am going to assemble a memory/hug quilt for a coworker that has just been diagnosed with cancer. Several people in the office will be contributing blocks and I'll assemble the whole thing. I plan to use flannel for the back and want to make the quilt snuggle but not unweldy. I'm sure there will be many opinions but I need help deciding on the batting. Quilters Dream Puff, Warm and Natural or the Bamboo batting. What do you all think? It will be a laying on the couch cover up or to go with to Chemo/Radiation treatments.

I'm so sorry to hear your coworker has to go through all of this. What a wonderful thing for you and the others to do. I recently heard that the bamboo batting has a much softer feel once it is quilted. I knew to wash the batting to prevent shrinkage but did not realize it should be washed more.

I would be sure to make it big enough to wrap up in fully even on the couch. I like plenty of quilt to wrap under my feet as well as up and around my shoulders and neck area. So plenty of length and width would be my suggestion. My daughter uses a twin size and full size quilt on the couch for tv watching all the time. Gives enough quilt to lay over the doggie that wants to cuddle on the couch!

I will be watching this thread to see what others have to share on this topic.

Good luck with your project and best wishes to your coworker as they go through the treatments.

Pam M

ghostrider 03-09-2011 04:00 PM

Go with the Quilter's Dream Puff. It's very lightweight, warmer than down or high loft poly, low/medium loft (1/3" ), breathable, does not shrink, is easy to quilt, and resists creasing and fold lines(like wool). What more could you want for this quilt?

Sassylass 03-09-2011 04:01 PM

Quilts done for cancer patients are done with 100% cotton..top...batting and backing...with no embellishments on it to tangle up in hospital equipment.What a wonderful thing you are doing for your friend...I just lost my quilting buddy to cancer...and she took her quilt with her each time for treatments.
Hope this helps you.
sass

carolaug 03-09-2011 04:19 PM

I use my flannel quilt every morning and night while sitting in the living room on my computer...I used warm and natural for batting...Love the feel of my quilt...I highly recommend warm and natural and the flannel backing...

Fabaddict 03-09-2011 04:23 PM

I made a quilt for a cancer patient with his son, dil and grands handprints. turned out wonderful, and he loved it. Unfortunately he is no longer with us. I used a layer of flanel inside as batting, and backed it with flannel as well.
It was not too heavy for him when he got so weak he could barely move.