Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-remember-days-when-they-clipped-ripped-fabric-t115464.html)

chairjogger 04-12-2011 02:53 AM

Anyone remember the days that the fabric was clipped by scissors then with two hands ripped so the fabric would be straight? Or, was she just the madd madd fabric ladie of J C Penny's? hah! Yes, that is where I got my fabric for my "Marsha Marsha" Brady clothes I made.

Rebecca VLQ 04-12-2011 02:54 AM

Yup. When I was little and my mom shopped for fabric.

Moonglow 04-12-2011 02:56 AM

It still happens in some places.

lscho4jm 04-12-2011 02:56 AM

They still do in some LQS. I still jump everytime they do even though I know it's coming. :lol:

mpspeedy 04-12-2011 03:00 AM

I prefer my fabric cut that way. I remember when they had that little machine that they ran the fabric through to measure it. Then they pushed a button to make the small cut. The biggest problem with fabric is that it is often wound on the bolts while still slightly damp and gets stretched and distorted. The only way to tell if that is the case is to tear it.

chairjogger 04-12-2011 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I prefer my fabric cut that way. I remember when they had that little machine that they ran the fabric through to measure it. Then they pushed a button to make the small cut. The biggest problem with fabric is that it is often wound on the bolts while still slightly damp and gets stretched and distorted. The only way to tell if that is the case is to tear it.

That is intersting. i always learn something from this board.
what about stretching the fabric as you tear it? I have no clue, so just asking.
So far, my "modern" experiences are scissored cuttings. Even in my LQS.
Just a mind burp this AM and remembering the tightly "coiffed" hairred lady of J C Pennys. (late 1960's)
Thanks for teaching us something.

lscho4jm 04-12-2011 03:09 AM

That is intersting. i always learn something from this board.
what about stretching the fabric as you tear it? I have no clue, so just asking.
So far, my "modern" experiences are scissored cuttings. Even in my LQS.
Just a mind burp this AM and remembering the tightly "coiffed" hairred lady of J C Pennys. (late 1960's)
Thanks for teaching us something.[/quote]

Actually, I prefer cut to ripped. Just a preference to keep the fabric from being stretched out.

SEW 04-12-2011 03:47 AM

o.k., true confession here...I still do on occassion!!!!

AlwaysQuilting 04-12-2011 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I remember when they had that little machine that they ran the fabric through to measure it. Then they pushed a button to make the small cut.

That's how we did it when I was a teenager and worked in a dept. store's dry goods dept a looooong time ago. I'd forgotten about that little meter thing.

emerald46 04-12-2011 03:49 AM

I much prefer that snip and rip to the uneven cuts we are getting now.