Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Kitty that doesn't shed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitty-doesnt-shed-t121852.html)

betsymjeff 05-09-2011 06:07 AM

I would love to have another kitty, but the hair all over drives me crazy. My last kitty I got declawed so she wouldn't scratch my furniture. I there such a thing as a cat that does not shed?

QuiltnNan 05-09-2011 06:08 AM

there are hairless cats out there, but they are very expensive.

gunny148 05-09-2011 06:13 AM

yeah the hairless ones are coslty, just dont try what a neighbor tryed to do...shave his wife cat, he's got the scares to prove it... i still think hes a little light is off

betsymjeff 05-09-2011 06:13 AM

hairless???? I don't think I would like that. Do they just have the skin?

betsymjeff 05-09-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by gunny148
yeah the hairless ones are coslty, just dont try what a neighbor tryed to do...shave his wife cat, he's got the scares to prove it... i still think hes a little light is off

that is crazy. I KNOW I would never do that. lol

ssgramma 05-09-2011 06:21 AM

I clip my Manx with DH's beard clippers every Spring to help her (and us!) out. She sheds in clumps everywhere if I don't.

The Sphinx cats are kind of strange looking I think!

Ramona Byrd 05-09-2011 06:22 AM

And there's a dog that goes with it. Both would have to be kept warm in bad weather, would sun burn fast, and would have to have their own warm sweaters. I knew a hairless dog once, he was friendly but strange with all those wrinkles. They might be good for allergy sufferers.

A quick look on the internet found the Cats
Bramble Cat
Donskoy
Dossow
Peterbald
Sphynx
Ukrainian Levkoy
--------------
Dogs

American Hairless Terrier
Chinese Crested
Hairless Khala
Peruvian Inca Orchid (PIO)
Xoloitzcuintle

lisainmo 05-09-2011 06:50 AM

I have a Himalayan that has very long hair and sheds horribly, I just take her about every 6 months and have him shaved down a little bit. Better for me and in the summer so much more comfortable for him.

greenini 05-09-2011 06:53 AM

There is a device at pet store that is called the Furminator, works really well to keep a kitty clean. I have run a slicker over my cats and then De-furminated them and there is a huge bunch of fur still left. I advice doing it outside if possible.

I don't want to start an "issue" but declawing a cat is not like having your fingernails cut, it's more like having your fingers cut at the first joint. I feel very sorry for kitties that have had this done. They have no defenses so I've seen them develop bad biting habits since it's the only way they have of protecting themselves. I hope you will consider not doing it to your new kitty.

feline fanatic 05-09-2011 09:46 AM

Sphynx is the hairless one. Devon and Cornish Rex also have very short fur and shedding is minimum.

However, you can only get these cats from breeders and most breeders make you sign a contract that you will not declaw. Declawing is a cruel practice. It is outlawed in many countries and when pharmaceutical companies want to test the effecacy of pain killers they test on declaw patients because it is so horribly painful to the cat.

Please understand I am not blaming you or accusing you. I am sure if you had known you would not have declawed so I am taking this opportunity to educate you. But if you want a pet that has no shedding and no claws I don't think a cat is a good choice for your lifestyle.