Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-very-loopy-bottom-side-fabric-t122792.html)

Debbie B 05-13-2011 10:35 AM

I've been FMQ with an old (1953) Singer 15-125. It's been wonderful until the last couple of days. I'm making a couple baby quilts. When I FMQ the top stitch looks OK, but the bottom side has big loops & looks a tangled mess. I've rethreaded both top & the bobbin (more than a couple of times) and I looked to see if the bobbin was dusty, but it was clean. The tension is at 4 and I've increased it to 6, but that didn't do any good either. One baby quilt is basted all together and I did a large meandering stipple throughout the body & the machine did just fine. The next day I wanted to do hooked feathers on the border & it does this loopy mess. Yesterday I worked for 2 - 3 hours trying to figure it out & couldn't...what am I doing wrong?

Quilter7x 05-13-2011 10:36 AM

I know nothing about this machine, but I'm wondering if either the top or bobbin thread is not through one of the tension discs. I don't know what else to suggest.

jljack 05-13-2011 10:37 AM

Are you sure you lowered the foot? That is usually what causes that, because that is what engages the tensioner.

Debbie B 05-13-2011 10:39 AM

Yes the foot is lowered. The foot is a darning foot/FMQ foot that I've used before & used it a lot. Do those go bad?

Originally Posted by jljack
Are you sure you lowered the foot? That is usually what causes that, because that is what engages the tensioner.

Debbie B 05-13-2011 10:53 AM

I did buy new thread...Coats Cotton. I used the first spool with no problems, but the second one is where I'm having problems...hmmmm? And I'll go back into my sewing room & make sure that I have threaded it correctly. Thanks.

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
There is somethign off on your tension top or bottom. Did you change thread brand? Have you by any chance missed one of the tesioning loops? Did you drop the bobbin on the floor, that will cause extra drag? It can be so many tensioning reasons. With out seeing it I cant tell you.

Debbie B 05-13-2011 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
There is somethign off on your tension top or bottom. Did you change thread brand? Have you by any chance missed one of the tesioning loops? Did you drop the bobbin on the floor, that will cause extra drag? It can be so many tensioning reasons. With out seeing it I cant tell you.

Here's a picture of a test run. The fabric is a scrap piece & it's sort of shiny. Wish I could have gotten a better view.

ghostrider 05-13-2011 11:44 AM

Make sure your bobbin thread is winding off the right way, too. That can affect the bottom tension.

Favorite Fabrics 05-13-2011 11:52 AM

If your bobbin tension has become too tight (maybe some fiber got caught in there) that can make the top thread look too loose, too.

I don't know if this applies, but I had a serger where I could not get the tension on one of the threads to be tight enough no matter what I did. Turns out that it needed a repair, and I was told that there was "a little weld" in the tension discs that had apparently come undone.

nativetexan 05-13-2011 12:23 PM

the darning foot should not go bad. it's a simple foot with a spring on it. try cleaning out your machine well. return bobbin and also rethread the top thread.
good luck.

Ripped on Scotch 05-13-2011 12:26 PM

When this happens to me.. I go take a breather, Come back and re-thread everything. Start from Scratch.

Good luck!