Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-more-ideas-sewing-small-space-t123673.html)

lots2do 05-17-2011 01:56 AM

Good Morning!
In a few years, if the plans materialize (so to speak), we will be snowbirds. I'll be loosing the spare room here and we'll be in a condo. My mind is already planning how I'll be able to use the smaller space we'll have. I've searched and read some old threads here but am interested in getting some new ideas.

One thing that I am glad about is that it'll force me to be neater. I think it's like that saying that nature abhores a vacuum. (Hope I spelled that right). Give me a space and I'll fill it right up. Also, as a friend reminded me at quilt group, I'll have two spaces to split my stuff into. It just won't be convenient to go get the things I forget so I'll have to really put thought into it.

So, bring it on. What are your ideas?
I appreciate your thoughts!

quilticing 05-17-2011 02:14 AM

Think vertical. I love my pegboard wall and shelves fill every wall. Maybe use any air space with a drop shelf or cupboard?

sewmuchmore 05-17-2011 03:22 AM

My DH made my shelves 25 inches hight 6inch wide for the top one and the lower was 60 inches high. I use fromboard that was acidefree from Wally world. Cut them 23 inch hight and I made three of them out of one board, the other I use 48 inches. A little tip every few feet make a divider the fabric will get heavy and will be hard to move to the side to pull out your fabric roll. You can get ten time the amount up on the shelf. If you would like a picture I will be happy to post one. :P

livenlearn124 05-17-2011 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
My DH made my shelves 25 inches hight 6inch wide for the top one and the lower was 60 inches high. I use fromboard that was acidefree from Wally world. Cut them 23 inch hight and I made three of them out of one board, the other I use 48 inches. A little tip every few feet make a divider the fabric will get heavy and will be hard to move to the side to pull out your fabric roll. You can get ten time the amount up on the shelf. If you would like a picture I will be happy to post one. :P

I would love to see a picture!
My sewing/craft room is very small (12x12) and I would love some ideas. TY!

cjomomma 05-17-2011 04:56 AM

12 X 12 would be a big room to me. I have a very small space and ppl tell me all the time how on earth did you get that much stuff in such a small space and make it functional. LOL!! If I remember later I will post a picture of it.

bebe 05-17-2011 05:02 AM

utilize youe wll space w/ shelves and etc
find a sewing table that has drawers for storage
get a sewing table that folds
do get a good comfortable chair
utilize your closet and maybe put your machine in there'

livenlearn124 05-17-2011 05:30 AM

If I get the nerve I'll take pics when I get home from work tonight and post pics.. eeek.. the thought of people seeing my space makes my skin crawl.

It's really not that bad, I don't have much stash. I have way more scrapbooking paper than I have fabric :D

Rose Marie 05-17-2011 05:58 AM

For awhile I used under the bed plastic boxes to store fabric under my bed. Now I have taken over my master bedroom which is smaller than most masters, and Im running out of room again. Im not married so a smaller bedroom to sleep in is just fine for me. I bought a small cubby hole shelf unit to store all my books and magazines. It is now full. Never enough room for quilting.

pjemark 05-17-2011 06:03 AM

I have my sewing machine and all of my stuff in my "shop". I'm a painter and that is where I store my hundreds of quarts and gallons of paint (scary thought huh-having all of my sewing stuff and my beautiful fabric in the same room) Anyway- I've learned to hang virtually anything I possibly can on the walls and compact as much as possible. I wish i knew how to post pics.

cjomomma 05-17-2011 06:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my small sewing space. It is right behind my couch in the livingroom.

Here is the book shelf that you can't see in the first picture.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]198247[/ATTACH]