Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting and eye strain (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-eye-strain-t125183.html)

Wholeheart Mom 05-23-2011 12:01 PM

Now mind you...

I am 47 years old and have always had 20/20 vision. I have never needed glasses and have never had difficulties with anything - even cutting and piecing quilts for extensive periods of time caused no problems.

However, since I started machine applique, I am having troublesome issues. I get headaches and for some strange reason, my eyes have difficulty accommodating from near to far vision, and I have blurriness for quite a while after I am done on the machine. It seems as if my eyes are too tired and too strained to adjust and focus, so my far vision is compromised for about an hour - then everything clears up and my vision is normal again.

This is all new to me, and I don't want to give up machine applique! Would glasses help? Would one of those magnifying lenses in front of the needle help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dd 05-23-2011 12:07 PM

Try a pair of those reading glasses from the drug store or WM. I have them all over the house. One in each tote bag for projects, one on the end table where I sit, one on the sewing machine, they are always handy but I only need them for certain things. You know seeing.lol

sueisallaboutquilts 05-23-2011 12:17 PM

That's right about the time I started needing reading glasses! Never wore them my whole life until then. I wear contacts though, the bifocal ones. I hate glasses! Maybe b/c I never had to wear them.
I'd get those eyes checked.

quiltsRfun 05-23-2011 12:22 PM

It might not be quilting related. It might be age related. Just saying.

michelehuston 05-23-2011 12:25 PM

My eye doctor told me I would probably need readers soon..and I am 44. :(

QuiltnNan 05-23-2011 12:28 PM

the glasses may help. with machine applique, your eyes stay very focused on the sewing point for a very long time. i've noticed that, myself. try taking more vision breaks... look up/away often.

mosaicthinking 05-23-2011 12:28 PM

Hate to say it, but it's probably an age-related thing. Worth getting checked out of course.

klc 05-23-2011 12:29 PM

I've worn glasses forever and everytime I start to feel eye strain and get headaches I know I should go in and get new glasses. If you haven't had an eye exam in a while, I'd say it is worth the money.

greenini 05-23-2011 12:30 PM

Try the drugstore reading glasses, but also be aware of time. Set a timer and every half hr or so look up and into the distance and around for a little bit. It maybe that you are just concentrating too hard and your eye muscles are tired from all the close work.

DogHouseMom 05-23-2011 12:31 PM

My old eye doctor used to call that "40/40" vision. After you hit 40 your arms need to be 40" long to read.

Try some drug store cheaters, or borrow a pair from a neighbor and try them out. Start with the weakest.