Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Help Help...can't get marking lines off (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-help-help-cant-get-marking-lines-off-t125762.html)

kkpicket 05-25-2011 06:46 PM

Our little community is celebrating our 125th this July 4th. I volunteered to make our quilt. We completed the quilt about 3 weeks ago. The marking lines were the only thing that we needed to get off. I can't believe it...but they are not coming off..actually it is like the markings are just spreading.

It is the outside border that is a medium brown that we marked with Roxanne's marking pencil. I have tried to remove these markings with water and a soft towel. I have tried a spray bottle with warm water and a small amount of laundry detergent with no luck. Also, tried making the towel wet and removing the markings on the quilt that is dry. Didn't work. I'm not a hand quilter and I don't have any experience with this sort of a problem.

Needless to say, I'm just a little panic. I'm hoping with all the wonderful quilters here that someone will have a solution to this problem. Thanks for any and all help.

bodie358 05-25-2011 06:51 PM

Is this the chalk pencil?

medots 05-25-2011 06:52 PM

try alcohol

bodie358 05-25-2011 06:58 PM

If worse comes to worse, I would throw it in the washing machine.

sammygirlqt 05-25-2011 07:03 PM

Here is a solution that works great on pencil marks. Maybe it will work on your markings.

Make a solution of:
3 oz rubbing alcohol
1 oz water
3 or 4 drops liquid dishwashing detergent

Place in a squeeze bottle and shake well. Wet the corner of a rough washcloth with the solution and rub over the pencil markings. Wet a second cloth with clear water and wring out; rub over the treated surface to rinse. Let the quilt air dry. Lines will disappear entirely when the quilt is dry. Heavy pencil marks may, however, require a second treatment for complete removal.
Submitted by Helen W. Rose, Nauvoo, Alabama

applegramma 05-25-2011 07:03 PM

Have you tried hydrogen proxide? It is really good as a stain remover, is used in moderation and especially if it is a light color fabric. Do a test on scrap fabric first!

Tartan 05-25-2011 07:29 PM

Well, Roxanne's is 100% chalk and supposed to be water soluable. I have found that cotton quilting thread some times picks up the colour from marking pencils. The pencil marks come off the quilt but the stitching retains the colour. I have seen a new product called Marking-pencil Removal by Quilter's Rule International. I wonder if this spray may help?
The last time this happened to me, I gave up and removed the quilting and quilted again with thread that matched the colour of the pencil marks. Luckily it was only a small quilt and I don't know if you want to re-quilt the border that is effected.

ckcowl 05-26-2011 01:17 AM

have you tried washing the quilt?
visit the web site of the maker of the pencil you used and see what they say to remove the marks- or check the package--and hopefully you have not done something to set it permentently already.
read somewhere --- erasers work to get pencil marks off- i would be (timid) with having to do that much rubbing- if its a large area- but i would start with the manufacturer and see how you are (supposed to remove it) then from there the quilt would go in the washing machine...
good luck- and ALWAYS TEST for ease of removal BEFORE marking any quilting....even if you used this marking item on your last quilt and it came out fine---test it on the next one...it might not work so well next time--some fabrics seem to (hold -on ) better than others.

NJ Quilter 05-26-2011 02:23 AM

I'd agree with washing the quilt. I've never had an issue with Roxanne marking pencil lines coming out when the quilt was washed.

Holice 05-26-2011 02:31 AM

If using the formulae above, don't use DAWN dish washing detergent. Aparantly there is something in Dawn that will set the marks.