Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you knit too? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-knit-too-t129059.html)

mariposa gal 06-08-2011 02:39 PM

Ran to Wal Mart yesterday to get more yarn for an ongoing project I work on. Always paid $l.48 for a 122 yd., 2.5 oz. skein of cotton yarn. Picked up several skeins and noted they were now 2 oz., 98 yds., and $1.77. So I bought some, went out to my car, drove to the gas pump and paid $3.57/gal. What else is new? :shock:

tmw 06-08-2011 02:48 PM

do you see that a yarn advertisment comes on at the top of the page, and your subject is about yarn? so who is watching this site to do that!!!!

quiltsRfun 06-08-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by tmw
do you see that a yarn advertisment comes on at the top of the page, and your subject is about yarn? so who is watching this site to do that!!!!

I think it's automatic. The advertising is what keeps our site free.

quilt1950 06-08-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by tmw

I'm always amazed at how closely the advertising follows the content of the post. Happens in G-Mail also. Not unique to this site.

klc 06-08-2011 04:35 PM

Yes, I knit better than I sew. I always try to go to JoAnn's and use coupons to save money. Same with material. The price of cotton is going up, which would affect both yarn and material. Good thing I've got a good size stash!

AZTeri 06-08-2011 05:22 PM

I crochet. Never quite got the hang of knitting. It was always either too loose or too tight, and I kept dropping stitches.

I'm almost done with an afghan I started for my daughter in January. I only work on it on occasion at night and when we go camping. I think I have about 7 rows left before it will be long enough for her. It's an "around the post" stitch, with two colors, so it's kind of tedious.

I try to get yarn when it's on sale. But the yarn my son wants for his next afghan rarely goes on sale. (He wants an afghan, not a quilt..go figure!) I'll probably be using my JoAnn's coupon for it soon.

maryb119 06-08-2011 05:23 PM

Yes, I knit too but it has been a long time since I have made something.

earthwalker 06-08-2011 06:05 PM

Haven't really got into knitting, can do the basics but hate following patterns. Just lately I have had the urge to learn how to make socks. Really hard to find good quality, thick, work socks for my husband and youngest son. They have trade jobs so need sturdy socks for wearing with their steel caps.

KristinaH 06-08-2011 06:38 PM

I too never got the hang of knitting. I have done quite well with crochet though. I have two big boxes of yarn that I will one day return to.

ontheriver 06-09-2011 06:27 AM

I crochet, mostly doilies and tablecloths as I like working with the thread type but can not stand the feel of yarn on my hands, silly huh. I never could get the hang of knitting. Use to tat just a little but have forgotten what I knew.