Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   haxagon quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/haxagon-quilt-t132446.html)

seg1213 06-22-2011 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one of my mother-law's quilt tops that I would like to finish for my husband. The edges are wavy, along the lines of the hexes. How should I finish the edges? Should I fill in with more hex to create a straight edge? That is what she did at top and bottom. This is a queen size top. I appreciate all suggestions.

annieshane 06-22-2011 07:42 PM

I don't have suggestions for borders, but love the quilt. Am very interested in more experienced quilters' opinions about completing. So much work in this top. Do post the finished project.

SandyinZ4 06-22-2011 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My mom made a quilt like this back in the 30's She bound the edges in bias matching fabric and went along each hexagon. Quite a job. Will see if I can find a pic to post and show you. You could fill in with half hex's too and then you would have a straight edge to bind. Would be easier but can you find matching fabric? Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mom's 1930's hexagon quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215489[/ATTACH]

seg1213 06-22-2011 07:57 PM

I love this one with pink edge! thanks for sharing. I was thinking of using a royal blue contrasting fabric.

ckcowl 06-23-2011 01:28 AM

some people fill in with hex's- diamonds; some people leave it the way it is---that is a personal choice-
there are good tutorials for binding the un-even edges if you choose to go that route---(that is the traditional way- but not the only way)

Veronica 06-23-2011 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by seg1213
I have one of my mother-law's quilt tops that I would like to finish for my husband. The edges are wavy, along the lines of the hexes. How should I finish the edges? Should I fill in with more hex to create a straight edge? That is what she did at top and bottom. This is a queen size top. I appreciate all suggestions.

Beautiful quilt.
I would continue as she planed, and fill in with more hexagons to make it like the top.
I would love to see it when you are done.

dunster 06-23-2011 03:37 AM

What a wonderful quilt! I would remove hexagons where she has filled in and have a wavy white edge all around the quilt. I would finish it with facing rather than binding. It makes a nice flat edge and is easier and much faster than binding all those corners.

emerald46 06-23-2011 03:43 AM

I agree with dunster. The quilt is gorgeous.

mannem 06-23-2011 04:50 AM

I would lay a wide enough strip of border fabric underneath, all around and hand stitch (applique) the hexagons down on it. This way you could corral any wavy edge.

Barb44 06-23-2011 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica

Originally Posted by seg1213

Beautiful quilt.
I would continue as she planed, and fill in with more hexagons to make it like the top.
I would love to see it when you are done.

That's what I would do too. It really is a beautiful quilt. How fortunate you are to have it.