Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray Basting Questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-basting-questions-t133164.html)

Buckeye Rose 06-25-2011 06:28 PM

Ok....I am ready to try something new....spray basting adhesive. It has to be easier than pinning, especially if you are working on the floor, but I have a couple questions. 1. will the basting hold throughout the entire quilting process? 2. does it wash out? 3. What tips can you give me before I start? 4. Is it an easy process?

Thanks in advance, because I just know you have all the answers!

sewnsewer2 06-25-2011 06:31 PM

I spray baste & pin. I used to do it on the floor too, but got to where it was killing my back, so now I use my DR table.
Yes, it holds well if you give it an even spray. Make sure you leave the room for a few minutes after spraying because that stuff stinks! LOL

Airwick156 06-25-2011 06:32 PM

I personally would advise spraying it outside and make sure to spray it onto the batting as you need ventalation. AND you risk getting sticky residue on the floors, carpets, walls everywhere. It does hold through out the process. And yes it will wash out. Others will have better knowledge of using it. Just make sure you have lots of ventalation that stuff stinks. LOL. You can also do a search for basting spray lots of postings on it.

Glassquilt 06-25-2011 06:33 PM

Ditto the spray outside.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 06-25-2011 06:37 PM

I use Juen Tailor spray on my dining room table. Any overspray has always easily mopped off my hardwood floors. It seems to hold up well for me except on the very edges. I guess I don't spray enough right there, so I add a few pins.

I have spray basted a jumbo queen and wrestled it through my domestic machine and it turned out great!

pjaco 06-25-2011 06:40 PM

I just tried it on the last two quilts and I love it!!! It saves my back ! I have used it with my quilts on the design wall and even on my bed ! I didn't have any problem with overspray and it holds so well. You will love it ! (never used it outside)

sewmary 06-25-2011 06:40 PM

Definitely spray baste for me.

(Aside: Glassquilt - OMG - just love your avatar. a commercial design or your own?)

Izaquilter 06-25-2011 06:48 PM

wonder what I did wrong because the time I tried to use it to baste a quilt I didn't have much luck or faith in it! Now my girlfriend loves the stuff. She will use 2-3 cans to baste her quilts. She must love the smell! (NOT)

RkayD 06-25-2011 06:54 PM

Spread some newspaper down under the edges or you will end up with dirty spots embedded on your carpet. =) Don't spray it inside at night unless you have time to let the room air out..(I spray in my bedroom because thats the biggest floor space I have) Yes it will hold all through your project but you can pin it in a few critical areas if you wish and it does wash out. I LOVE spray basting.

RkayD 06-25-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
wonder what I did wrong because the time I tried to use it to baste a quilt I didn't have much luck or faith in it! Now my girlfriend loves the stuff. She will use 2-3 cans to baste her quilts. She must love the smell! (NOT)

that ALOT of spray..I get 2 - 3 quilts in one can not the other way around..WoW!