Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Clarification on pressing seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/clarification-pressing-seams-t133318.html)

Divokittysmom 06-26-2011 11:45 AM

I come from a sewing background where we nearly always pressed seams open. This ensures a nice flat seam.

In quilting as we know seams are normally(?) pressed to the side. When the seams are then butted together they 'nest' creating (hopefully) a perfect match.

I was reading the posting 'The Perfect Quilt~Quilted' http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-133140-1.htm
and noticed that Harriet the LAQ had referenced the quilt being so flat because the seams were pressed open. Therefore making it a dream to quilt. And... may I say again,it is a stunning quilt!!!

I must confess I am always pressing seams open, only then to re-press them to the side. To me it seems logical to press them open to create a more flat~less bumpy (@ seams) quilt!

Which is correct?.. the best way??? Or...is there a correct way? I always thought that pressing to the side was how it was supposed to be done in quilting.
I will probably receive dozens of answers saying it's up to the person making the quilt.
I would just love to know the reason why it is done one way or the other.
Inquiring minds really really want to know! :lol:

Thank you!!

Kitsie 06-26-2011 11:47 AM

Whatever feels good to you! No hard and fast rule anymore.

Jennifer22206 06-26-2011 11:49 AM

I've done both. What I noticed, if I pressed the seams open and used a poly batting, I had a little bearding. If I used W&N or Bamboo batting, no bearding. Never had the issue of bearding come up with seams pressed to one side.

So, what I usually do is if the block has a crap ton of seams meeting (like an intricate PP star) I press open and use W&N. Otherwise, it's whatever I feel like doing.

bearisgray 06-26-2011 11:51 AM

It still comes down to individual choice - and what the pattern/design calls for.

MadQuilter 06-26-2011 11:52 AM

I usually press the seam down and then to the side; not always to the dark side though. I give a lot of thought to how the seams will nest if possible.

It is personal preference but I think that pressing open is not a good plan for stitch-in-the-ditch quilting, because you would be quilting down a thread between the pieces.

I prefer pressing to the side and when too many seams match at the center, I press those in the "flower pattern" in the center to where the bunched seam in the center is opened like a petal.

Divokittysmom 06-26-2011 12:07 PM

MadQuilter:Thank you for posting your thoughts about SID! I am working on a quilt that I was planning on doing SID. I am pressing to one side so lucky for me!! Thanks!

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I usually press the seam down and then to the side; not always to the dark side though. I give a lot of thought to how the seams will nest if possible.

It is personal preference but I think that pressing open is not a good plan for stitch-in-the-ditch quilting, because you would be quilting down a thread between the pieces.

I prefer pressing to the side and when too many seams match at the center, I press those in the "flower pattern" in the center to where the bunched seam in the center is opened like a petal.

Buckeye Rose 06-26-2011 12:16 PM

I have always pressed to one side and nesting the seams. I get a much better joint that way. With a bit of practice, I don't even pin them anymore. You can feel with your finger when the seams are aligned correctly, then just zip through and sew! So much faster that way.

Tussymussy 06-26-2011 12:17 PM

Both! You do as you wish. As a I guide, I will not press to one side if the seam will show through the fabric ie it is a much lighter colour than one the it is matched with.

LoriEl 06-26-2011 12:23 PM

When I started quilting I read that the reason the seams are pressed to one side is because there is less chance of them opening up later. Made sense to me so that's how I do it.

dakotamaid 06-26-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
When I started quilting I read that the reason the seams are pressed to one side is because there is less chance of them opening up later. Made sense to me so that's how I do it.

This was the custom back in the hand piecing days. Since the hand piecing didn't make as strong as seam the seams were all pressed to one side for strength.

These days anything goes if you are machine piecing. Sometimes the quilt "talks" to you as how the seams will look the best.:)