Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-family-friends-were-military-t135324.html)

Rhonda 07-05-2011 05:37 AM

My DH Glen was in Viet Nam for 2 yrs. He was in a jeep that was blown up and he was in a body cast for several weeks. He came home on medical leave and as soon as he could he went back again. He has seen such terrible things in his service to his country and now he lives with a disability.

My dad was in the Navy during the Korean war. My mom's brothers were in the Navy. 3 of them all at the same time. At one point they were all stationed in Hawaii. One brother made the navy his carreer.

I should have posted this yesterday but didn't think of it then! LOL

I would love to hear how the military has impacted your life. Of course our lives are impacted on a daily struggle as my DH also has PTSD and deals with paranoia all the time.

jean1941 07-05-2011 05:42 AM

My daddy, FIL, BIL,2 uncle, 2 sons (One retired with 31 years active and reverse) all in NAVY. One uncle and some cousins in ARMY. Big part of life

tealady 07-05-2011 05:43 AM

My father was in WWII. I have 2 nephews in the Navy and my oldest son is in the Army - deployed to Afghanistan right now. BUT - we will be seeing him next week when he comes home for R&R. It is emotional for us but I'm sure it is harder on my dil and grandson (who will turn 1 next week).

Other than being concerned for his safety,it does not faze me much. Well, that and wonderng where he will be stationed next. I don't get to see my grandson much because he and his mother are living in Michigan while my son is deployed.
God bless and keep all our military personnel.
Priscilla

AZTeri 07-05-2011 05:51 AM

My family has a military heritage. It's easier to list it:

2 uncles in WWII, including one at Iwo Jima
Aunt in the WAAF during WWII
2 other uncles in the AAF during WWII
Father wanted to, but he was too young for WWII, and by the time Korea came around, he had two children, and thus (at that time) was ineligible.

Brother - AF
Brother in law - AF, at least one tour in Vietnam
I was in the AF - retired in 2000 after 25 years active duty and reserve combined

Nephew in the Navy, his wife was in the Navy also
Nephew in law in the Marines
another Nephew in law was in the Marines, is out now

Step son in the Marines, just returned from Afghanistan

DH's father and uncle in AF and Marines, both saw service in Korea

I think that covers it.

ontheriver 07-05-2011 05:52 AM

My hubby was in the Navy for 20 years. As a Navy wife I learned to be very independent and I enjoyed moving every few years and meeting new people. I didn't enjoy the fact that he was gone 80% of the 20 years. And now he is deceased, a service related death caused by exposure to asbestos in the ship's engine rooms. One of my sons was in the Navy for 4 years and another was in the Army for 4 years. Neither wanted to make it a career.

emerald46 07-05-2011 05:53 AM

My Dad (Army), 3 uncles(Army) and FIL (Navy) were in WWII, 3 cousins (Air Force) Korean War and 3 cousins (Vietnam). We lost 2 of the cousins in Vietnam. My Dad seldom talked about the war until he got older. I can remember as a kid him having nightmares about the Battle of the Bulge, almost yearly to the day for several years.

valsma 07-05-2011 05:57 AM

My dad was army during Korea, served stateside never went over.
My bio dad was Navy
My daughter-in-law is currently an Airman in the USAF currently stationed in ID. She has done one tour in Iraq.

lisainmo 07-05-2011 05:58 AM

My youngest son is Special Forces Army, returned safely from Afghanistan in April, and will be leaving again in 3 months.
I am so proud to be a mom of a soldier for all they do. I also admire the wives, who take care of all the things while they are gone. They at times are overlooked.

ckcowl 07-05-2011 06:06 AM

my hubby was in the Army- my mom's hubby retired from the Navy=
my son in law was a Marine- got out - then joined the Army National Guard
my youngest son joined the Navy last summer-
we kind of consider ourselves a (military family)

mom-6 07-05-2011 06:26 AM

Dad - Army WWI and WWII
DH - career AF
Various uncles and cousins - Army (Korea), Air National Guard (career)
Both in-laws - AF