Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   size of Dear Jane quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/size-dear-jane-quilt-t135619.html)

mim 07-06-2011 09:47 AM

I got my book and CD today and want to re-size to make it for the bed in Olympia WA which is a queen size. I like my sides to hang over 25 inches as I have a deep 15 inch mattress plus the box spring.

What would be the best way -- resize the blocks, add blocks or make the triangles longer??

Have any of you done this??

I found out today that another friend, Wilma, also helped on the CD

Mim

alikat110 07-06-2011 09:51 AM

I am currently working on my Dj, and enlarged the blocks to 125%.

np3 07-06-2011 10:06 AM

I never have good luck enlarging the blocks. I always add borders.

ckcowl 07-06-2011 12:56 PM

personally i would make my blocks and get that part done then decide if i wanted to add borders- diamonds- more blocks...i can never decide things like that until i see what the quilt looks like in person- then i decide my best move to make it the size i want.

mim 07-06-2011 02:07 PM

That is what I will do -- I most often change a design as the quilt develops its own needs

Thank you all

Mim

Originally Posted by ckcowl
personally i would make my blocks and get that part done then decide if i wanted to add borders- diamonds- more blocks...i can never decide things like that until i see what the quilt looks like in person- then i decide my best move to make it the size i want.

nyelphaba 07-06-2011 06:50 PM

I changed the size of my Dear Jane. I made the blocks 6'. On the CD you can adjust the size of each block and print out the new block size pattern.

mim 07-07-2011 06:37 AM

I haven't looked deeply enough at the CD -- I loaded it yesterday. A long time ago I had a computer program but never utilised it. Perhaps Quilt-Pro?? This will be a good trial of how I might like EQ.

I now have to decide what basic color shade I want -- if I go with my usual, it will be blues. Maroon and lighter shades would be nice, but I would wory about bleeding. Maybe fall rusts, burgundys?? So many choices. I know I don't want a lot of different colors like the original.

I am going to use natural muslin for the backgrounds.

Mim

The Stitch Witch 07-07-2011 06:39 AM

I am making my DJ larger by putting the block on point with an alternating plain block. Will need to resize the triangle tho.

tealfalcon 07-07-2011 06:53 AM

i am making mine the orig size but i plan to make a large scallop border after the triangles so that it will fit on my bed

mim 07-07-2011 07:46 AM

I never thought of that -- I have done scallops with my Double wedding quilt -- I didn't do any binding on it. Just folded the two sides into themselves.

Mim

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
i am making mine the orig size but i plan to make a large scallop border after the triangles so that it will fit on my bed