Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread...do you prefer 100% cotton, or polyester? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-do-you-prefer-100%25-cotton-polyester-t136936.html)

Buckeye Rose 07-11-2011 06:53 PM

I have found the large spools of thread at walmart, both cotton and polyester, and wondered what everyone out there uses in their quilting. The polyester is $2 and cotton at $6. I have been a sewer of clothes since I was 9, I have always used the polyester thread and never any problems. I am also using up my older colored threads to piece the tops .... doesn't show anywhere....but just white to FMQ.

4EVERquilt 07-11-2011 06:54 PM

poly is ok for clothes, but cotton is better for quilts.

Favorite Fabrics 07-11-2011 06:57 PM

There is one situation where I definitely prefer cotton thread , and that is when working with gingham. Now that's odd, isn't it? Because gingham is a poly/cotton blend.

The reason is that gingham is a very lightweight fabric, and the stitching lines tend to pucker when I use polyester thread. If I use cotton thread, the stitching lies flatter. I have thought and thought about it, and I believe it is because the polyester thread has a bit of stretch to it, while the cotton thread has almost none.

Scissor Queen 07-11-2011 06:59 PM

I use the best quality threads I can get. I like Aurafil, Prescensia, Mettler, Marathon, and King Tut to name a few.

Deb watkins 07-11-2011 07:12 PM

I really prefer to use the Anton-Robison rayon thread. It just seems to glide through the fabric.

Mariposa 07-11-2011 07:13 PM

I prefer cotton. Especially the nicer ones!

auntpiggylpn 07-11-2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I really prefer to use the Anton-Robison rayon thread. It just seems to glide through the fabric.

Do you have any problems with breakage with the Rayon threads? I've used it a couple of times and I found it difficult to sew with. . .

luckylindy333 07-11-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by Deb watkins

Do you have any problems with breakage with the Rayon threads? I've used it a couple of times and I found it difficult to sew with. . .

I got a bunch of rayon thread when I got my embroidery machine. I have been using it ever since then but only for embroidery. I use cotton to piece quilts.

BellaBoo 07-11-2011 07:32 PM

I use them both. All the best bobbin threads are very thin poly. I use poly in the bobbin and cotton for the top. Right now I'm using Aurifil thread because I bought a lot of it on clearance. It's good thread but no better then some of the other quality brands. My machines like all brands of thread so I can take advantage of all thread sales.

Candace 07-11-2011 07:37 PM

Cotton. Aurifil is my preference and one of the best on the market.