Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Poppies planted in a Mum garden....by Charisma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/poppies-planted-mum-garden-charisma-t137297.html)

charismah 07-13-2011 07:59 AM

10 Attachment(s)
My own quilt! YAY!
Last month my quilting group got together and the technique was painting on fabric. We had a sample piece that the gal had painted of a poppy. So we all painted our version of the poppy.......some enjoyed it..some got free with their version.

At the end a few girls gave me their poppies and "challenged" me to make something from them...Some couldn't part with them (perfectly fine...because now I don't know that I could part with this!)

SO I just made this quilt as I went along...I love the way it turned out...I love Kaffe fabrics....and this chrysanthemum fabric had just enough of the right colors and boldness this quilt needed..I knew I was going to use it right away....I had teased my friend Sally during the painting (she didn't care much for the painting ...I think)..that her "Imagine" flower was a Mum. So I thought this Kaffe was appropriate...plus Sally dislikes KAffe fabric very much!
:mrgreen:

Anyway ...after the piecing was done....I struggled with how to quilt it...(I do with all of my own quilts..I have no idea why). I kept envisioning BIG Poppy flowers.......so I did that and matched some swirls with it because that is what we had painted with our Poppies. I also added texture anywhere there were patches ....pebbling in various spots like the seed pods..black frame et....The border I just wanted to give those big mums some definition..not take away from them...so I tried to go in and just accent the movement in each flower...my eyes were getting tired at 2am...I wouldn't have kept going if it was a customer quilt...but figured I was safe on my own....because I won't be to hard on myself.

So this is my own quilt...I am hoping they all let me keep it..I love it so...

I quilted everything freehand on my INNOVA. I used HObbs poly down batting.

Thanks for looking.

center
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225734[/ATTACH]

Can you see the big quilted flower?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225735[/ATTACH]

Sally's Imagine Flower...This Mum wants to be a poppy? Or is it the other way around?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225736[/ATTACH]

Can you see the corner of the quilted poppy? I did that to mimic the ones we painted.matching the fractured effect.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225737[/ATTACH]

Border shot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225741[/ATTACH]

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225744[/ATTACH]

Jennifer22206 07-13-2011 08:03 AM

that's INCREDIBLE!! I'm glad you made one for yourself!

jc469273 07-13-2011 08:08 AM

Beautiful work.

LeslieFrost 07-13-2011 08:08 AM

Wow -- you did a great job of building from the center, and the quilting is wonderful. Hmmm, they might not let you keep it!

pjaco 07-13-2011 08:09 AM

I love his fabric too. I don't know how I would feel about the "painting" on fabric, but the quilt really turned out nice.

ssnare 07-13-2011 08:10 AM

Love it. You always do a beautiful job! Wish I could afford your quilting for my quilts. :wink:

tealfalcon 07-13-2011 08:15 AM

wowza that is fabulous and how awesome that you got to do one for you

colleen53 07-13-2011 08:28 AM

it's gorgeous Charisma ! you are one talented young woman !

babyfireo4 07-13-2011 08:29 AM

amazing :)

grammajojo 07-13-2011 08:33 AM

Absolutely gorgeous. Glad you are keeping it!