Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do? Bugs in ordered fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-bugs-ordered-fabric-t137355.html)

MonnaL 07-13-2011 11:25 AM

I have a dilemma. I ordered some fabric online, and the service was very speedy, and the fabric is just what I wanted.

When I opened the package, the fabric was wrapped in a plastic bag (like from a grocery store) and was covered with bug egg cases and bug feces. Nothing alive, thank goodness.

Unfortunately, I opened this package over my kitchen table and this stuff scattered everywhere. I ran outside with everything and dumped it in the trash and then came in and decontaminated my table and floor around it.

I honestly believe the contamination was in the envelope it was sent in (a flat rate priority one). I shook the fabric out really well and didn't see any on the fabric.

Should I write her and tell her she might want to check her envelopes, or just not ever order there again? What would you do? I do not want to give the fabric up - it's OOP and hard to find.

auntpiggylpn 07-13-2011 11:27 AM

I would definately let the person know!!!! And wash the fabric ASAP!

donnajean 07-13-2011 11:29 AM

I agree!

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I would definately let the person know!!!! And wash the fabric ASAP!

Glassquilt 07-13-2011 11:30 AM

By all means let her know so she can correct whatever caused it if possible.

bearisgray 07-13-2011 11:31 AM

You still have the fabric? When you said you "dumped everything" - was that included?

If you still have the fabric - wash it, dry it - if you are obsessive, wash it again.

You've disposed of the wrapping.

Notify the company you purchased this from. Sometimes things can get infested overnight.

If they are good to work with otherwise, i would give them another chance.

As the saying goes - it happens.

jojosnana 07-13-2011 11:32 AM

OMGosh

tazzyjj 07-13-2011 11:38 AM

By ALL means let them know what you went thru after recieving your order...they may correct it and even maybe give a free order in the future!! :D

SparkMonkey 07-13-2011 11:39 AM

Man... just to be safe I'd stick it in the freezer for a couple days. Take it out, let it thaw for a day in a plastic bag, then freeze it again. That's the best way to kill any critters in yarn, and there's no reason it wouldn't work on fabric. The thaw/freeze cycle will wake up any bugs that have gone dormant--some bugs can survive being frozen when they're still in the eggs. The thaw tricks them into coming out of dormancy and the second freeze kills 'em. I also know some people who've bagged their yarn in a black garbage bag and stuck it in the car under full sunlight for a couple days. If they can't be killed by cold, they can probably be killed by heat.

All that aside, I would definitely contact the seller. Let her know that the fabric seems unharmed, but that her shipping supplies may need some attention. I'd hate for her to gain a bad reputation with other buyers if it's something she could have fixed had she known about it.

MonnaL 07-13-2011 11:40 AM

Yes, I shook the fabric really well outside, and it is in the washer right now.

I have written to the company - as I said, I want to keep the fabric and have no intention of sending it back for a refund. Told them as nicely as I could what happened so maybe they can check their envelopes.

yep...we have a saying here... "feces occurs". In this case, it was quite literal, though LOL

blueangel 07-13-2011 11:44 AM

Definately let her know.