Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting = how best to affix (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-%3D-how-best-affix-t138619.html)

jmdietz 07-18-2011 04:46 PM

Thanks for the quilting tracing ideas - there are choices! While shopping at JoAnn for batting for my baby quilt, I noticed there is Iron On batting. Does this work well? I didn't buy it as it only came in Low Loft.

erstan947 07-18-2011 04:48 PM

I use spray baste to make my sandwich. I'm too old to crawl around pinning or thread baste.

bigdogmom 07-18-2011 04:56 PM

I used the iron on low loft for a quilt years ago, I handquilted it and it was okay, kind of sticky to quilt through by hand, machine would have been better.

gloriabug 07-18-2011 05:42 PM

I found that the adhesive in the iron-on batting can seep through the fabric and make little spots that you can see, and they don't really wash out. It wouldn't be very noticable on a dark print, but it showed right through my cream-colored backing. I also thought it made the quilt a little stiff.

Prism99 07-18-2011 10:35 PM

I wouldn't purchase iron-on batting. Although it seems to work okay for small quilts, I have heard some horror stories about big quilts. I prefer to spray baste. Spray basting allows re-positioning. With anything that is an iron-on fusible, once you make a mistake it is extremely hard to correct it!

mmonohon 07-18-2011 10:52 PM

I used the fusible batting once. NEVER again. Worst experience ever, in every way.

Love basting spray!

k3n 07-19-2011 12:26 AM

I use it for landscape quilts and small projects made with snips of fabric for eg where I want a temporary fix while I FMQ over it. I don't like the feel of it though and wouldn't use it in a quilt-to-be-used. I've only recently started using spray baste on smaller projects, not tried it on a big quilt yet - I safety pin and re-adjust as I work out. No matter how well you smooth and flatten, it will need working out as you quilt. I don't know if I'll ever spray baste a large quilt - pins work for me so why change?

mmdquilts 07-19-2011 01:30 AM

I would think it would be stiff because of the glue. I usually pin or thread baste.

Shelbie 07-19-2011 02:57 AM

I use a combination of safety pins, straight pins and basting. I worry about using any extra chemicals in your quilts. What is in spray basting and will it harm your fabric in the long term? I also find that it is expensive so its pins for me.

ckcowl 07-19-2011 05:36 AM

the fusable batts are ok to use- some adhere better than others- usually you only have a problem if there's alot of starch or other chemical in the fabrics- if the fabrics have been pre=washed the fusable works best-
the stiffness goes away- as soon as the finished quilt is washed.
sometimes it is difficult to fuse the batt to large quilts- easier to use with smaller (twin or smaller) projects- not to say you can't use it for larger projects- it's just more difficult to get the sandwich together.
i like them better than spray---i hate using sprays that get all over-and stink
at least with the fusables no air born chemicals---
i have a couple times had to thread baste around the edges- but other than that i've not had any problems with them working as they should