Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Mitering sharper corners than 90 degree angles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/mitering-sharper-corners-than-90-degree-angles-t1395.html)

whisper 07-08-2007 04:21 PM

My sister and I were asked how to do a neat mitering on a sharp coner like on a star point but weren't sure how to answer and can't find it in our resources. Can anyone help?

thanks!

patricej 07-09-2007 08:48 AM

i can definitely be of no help here. my solution to that problem was to make sure i never picked a quilt design that required it. :shock: :lol:

yes. i know. my turn to go sit in the bowl.
:wink:

ShellyQ 07-09-2007 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by whisper
Yes, around a sharp point...thanks for all the help.

Ok, will do a mock up and take some pics, is easier than trying to describe with words. Will take me a little time though so will get back to you when done. I won,t have forgotten, will just take a bit of time :)

ShellyQ 07-17-2007 06:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Whisper, sorry it took me a while to get back to you, have been knee deep in old roofing iron (long story :lol: ). Hope the following helps. Is not much different from doing a 90 degree corner just need to make the angle of the fold as you take the binding around the corner a little different.

I have used double fold straight cut binding, has less give than bias.
Step 1 mark where seam lines will meet on quilt body, thensew binding to quilt edge till u get to mark, back stitct, remove from machine.

Step 2 Fold binding back at an angle so that binding becomes an extension of the next side you are going to sew. Then fold binding back over itself so that it is now lying over the edge you wish to join it to (see picture)
Dratt the picturs have got muddled up, have labled them step1 etc, so hope that'll be ok

Step 3 Make a mark on the binding where you can feel the folds underneath. Start your new seam at this mark, careful not to catch underneath folds in stitching.

Step 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49167[/ATTACH]

Step 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49170[/ATTACH]

Step 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54163[/ATTACH]

ShellyQ 07-17-2007 06:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Step 4 Fold binding over to back of quilt and stitch in normal manner. When you get to corner tuck in excess binding and make a tidy fold, place a few stitches in fold to anchor. Continue to stitch next side in normal manner.

Step 5 Completed back and front

Hope that is of some help :)

Step 5
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54164[/ATTACH]

Step 4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]59876[/ATTACH]

whisper 07-17-2007 07:05 PM

Thanks! And for all the pictures too - really helpful!

thimblebug6000 07-17-2007 09:02 PM

That's a great little tutorial, thanks for taking the trouble to post the photos.

annmarie 07-18-2007 05:07 AM

ShellyQ - you must be a teacher. Great job of explaining. I copied it for future reference. Thanks.

ShellyQ 07-18-2007 11:48 AM

You're most welcome :)