Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt as you go question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-you-go-question-t143625.html)

carr 08-08-2011 11:32 AM

My quilt squares already have sashing sewed on sides and I have sewed them all together. The backing is ready to fold up and tack down but should I sew the rows together by sewing the bottoms and tops of the rows now or do I just sew one row at a time and fold the folding and tack down and then sew rows together. I think I should sew all the rows together first.

nativetexan 08-08-2011 11:54 AM

QAYG method is usally quilting the blocks and joining. but you can quilt the rows since you have the blks together. then sew together.
by quilting i mean through batting and backing. you would have to lay your block rows onto backing that fits and backing cut larger. this is machine quilting in sections (a book out by that name). look for some tutorials here and online for QAYG

Lucky Lady 08-08-2011 12:09 PM

Nancy Zieman does a technique called column quilting which is like what you are talking about. She has a video showing this techinique. I believe it is on her website (Nancy's Notions) or possibly on you tube. She had a two part series on pubic tv that I watched a few weeks ago. I am anxious to try it. I think it will work well for people like myself who don't have a large harp on our machines. Good luck!!

Blessings!

Barb44 08-08-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by carr
My quilt squares already have sashing sewed on sides and I have sewed them all together. The backing is ready to fold up and tack down but should I sew the rows together by sewing the bottoms and tops of the rows now or do I just sew one row at a time and fold the folding and tack down and then sew rows together. I think I should sew all the rows together first.

I completed each row, backing included, then joined the rows. It just seemed a neater way to do it, but you could do it either way.

TanyaL 08-08-2011 03:13 PM

I have been contemplating doing a QAYG and I am wondering what pattern of quilting did you use? Stitch in the Ditch, Feathers? What?

heyjami 08-27-2011 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I sorta followed this last night. I did a strip quilt as you go. I watched the Missouri star tutorial and did that with my 10-minute blocks and panel (so 3 strips total). I used basting spray to make my life easier. It was a little wonky here and there but overall I'm pleased with the results! And it was lightning fast! I still have more free motion to do or maybe some stitch in the ditch... and then the binding. But that's the quickest I've gotten a quilt together yet! Oh, and a busy background fabric really helps!

QAYG Coffee Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247817[/ATTACH]

heyjami 08-27-2011 06:44 PM

The only thing I would do different for that coffee quilt is that I would leave more room for sashing around the entire quilt. The instructions say to start in the upper corner but next time I'm coming down 3-4" and then I'll leave the same along the sides.

Becky Crafts 08-28-2011 05:13 AM

Great quilt, I love it!!