Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My boy got skunked! (literally) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-boy-got-skunked-literally-t146959.html)

traumaRN 08-22-2011 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My westie Tucker disappeared for a while last night. As DH and I walked through the back yards of our neighbors to look for him we could detect the "bouquet" of skunk in the air. Found him on a neighbors deck; apparently the skunk was under it. Boy does he stink!! Does tomato juice really take out the smell? Any other remedies for him? He's miserable.

Tucker posing with one of my bags
[ATTACH=CONFIG]245117[/ATTACH]

ghostrider 08-22-2011 06:13 AM

Yes tomato juice works, but Massengill works much better. Two ounces in a gallon of water, pour over dog letting it soak in throughly, wait 15 minutes, rinse with plain water and then shampoo with his usual shampoo.

eta: The best is a mix-it-yourself concoction. In an empty milk jug, mix 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon liquid soap (pet shampoo will work). Wet dog with water and apply mix to his coat. It will bubble. Leave on for 3 to 4 minutes and then rinse throughly.

Shelbie 08-22-2011 06:13 AM

Vinegar is much easier, cheaper and works better than tomato juice. There is also a product sold by the pet store called Skunk Off that works well. I'd start with the vinegar and then finish up with the Skunk Off. This remedy worked for our German Shepherd. You may have to repeat it in a couple of days. I noticed that the first time Riley got wet there was still a lingering O de Skunk.

Kehoeta 08-22-2011 06:17 AM

Here is the ultimate in de-skunker..

quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, and a 10-drops of dish soap and 1/4 cup of baking soda.

Wash dog, use rubber gloves - because the skunk oil could end up on you.

Rinse well...

Also - if the dog got in the house and it smells - put a couple of bowls of cider vinegar out and around.. Somehow it absorbs the stink.

The big old boy in my avatar cannot resist skunks.

Jan in VA 08-22-2011 06:19 AM

Poor Punkin!!!! I feel so sorry for him.
AND you, of course!!

Jan in VA

Favorite Fabrics 08-22-2011 06:20 AM

I had a cat get skunked... the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda combination does work.

erstan947 08-22-2011 06:43 AM

I had a Min Pin that LOVED the smell of skunk. We were in an 18 wheeler and anytime he smelled a skunk he would get out of the covers and run to the AC vent and breath deep! Thanks all for the information all we used was tomato juice and it didn't do much for the smell.

amma 08-22-2011 06:51 AM

I didn't realize there were so many other options besides tomato juice :D:D:D

Nancy S. 08-22-2011 06:54 AM

Tomato Juice works also for just permed hair.

manley 08-22-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
Here is the ultimate in de-skunker..

quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, and a 10-drops of dish soap and 1/4 cup of baking soda.

Wash dog, use rubber gloves - because the skunk oil could end up on you.

Rinse well...

Also - if the dog got in the house and it smells - put a couple of bowls of cider vinegar out and around.. Somehow it absorbs the stink.

The big old boy in my avatar cannot resist skunks.

This does work. I had to use on myself once. Sorry for you and you pet.