Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   T Shirt Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilt-t150625.html)

shrabar 09-05-2011 11:26 AM

Is there anyone that knows what kind of interface to use behind the block when making a tshirt quilt. Thanks have a blessed day

khurtdvm 09-05-2011 11:32 AM

You definitely want fusible interfacing, and I've heard more than one school of thought on stretchy versus woven. One person I asked (who'd made several T-shirt quilts) said that she used whichever was cheaper that day. ;) If you use woven, it will stabilize the knit fabrics. If you use knit interfacing, put it so that the direction of the stretch is perpendicular to the direction of the T-shirt stretch, and that will help to stabilize it.

angiecub 09-05-2011 11:37 AM

I use fusible woven interfacing. It looks like a loosely woven cotton on one side and fusible on the other. I've used it a couple of times--it works well.

shrabar 09-05-2011 11:39 AM

Thank You very much I am going to try to make 4 lap quilts out of my grandson's tshirts he was killed in May & his Mom & Dad & sister ask for one hope I can do it .

mamaquilts 09-05-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by shrabar
Thank You very much I am going to try to make 4 lap quilts out of my grandson's tshirts he was killed in May & his Mom & Dad & sister ask for one hope I can do it .

Please get a pressing cloth too.

I've made several and I use a med. weight iron on interfacing.

Sorry to hear about your grandson

Sewfine 09-05-2011 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by shrabar
Is there anyone that knows what kind of interface to use behind the block when making a tshirt quilt. Thanks have a blessed day

Terrific tees "I Can't Believe It's a T-Shirt Quilt! by Roberta De Luz states. "An absolute must-have is fusible nonwoven interfacing. There are many brands and weights, but a light to medium weight interfacing works best."

Pellon Fusible Interfacing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252002[/ATTACH]

Sewfine 09-05-2011 11:48 AM

Sorry to hear about your grandson. You can do it sewing wise, because you have all your friends here on the board to help.

shrabar 09-05-2011 11:51 AM

I wish someone lived closer to me to help I need these to come out very good, Thanks for your help

Cattyqwltr 09-05-2011 12:12 PM

Please get a pressing cloth too.

I've made several and I use a med. weight iron on interfacing.

Sorry to hear about your grandson[/quote]

Thanks for the advice about the pressing cloth. I'm just finishing up my first t shirt quilt and have learned the hard way about using a pressing cloth. Nothing catastrophic happened and I'll know better for the next one I make.

Rose Bagwell 09-05-2011 01:45 PM

I bought one that astually looks like material, lightweight and won't stretch. The clerk at Jo Anns told me this was the best one to use. I suppose you would consider it woven.