Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What did you do today (9/11/11)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-did-you-do-today-9-11-11-a-t152248.html)

Lisanne 09-11-2011 06:04 PM

I know we all thought of the attacks, the tragedies, of 9/11, ten years ago. Some of us may have watched coverage about it on TV or gone to a special service, but did it affect your normal day today? Or did you manage to do what you'd usually do on a weekend day or a Sunday?

I ask because I went a few places - out to lunch, to the library, to the supermarket - and almost no one was in any of those places, all of which are usually crowded on Sundays. I wondered if it was because of 9/11.

I admit, even though I did those things, I postponed other plans, not wanting to do anything major on this day. So I wondered how others spent today, whether it changed how you would otherwise have spent the day. (If not, that is fine. I think we all should go on with our lives - it certainly doesn't conflict with our remembrance of ten years ago.)

skowron5 09-11-2011 06:07 PM

We went to church. A daughter of one of our members has been serving in Iraq. We have sent several care packages for the childen there. It was appreciated and her sister presented the church with an American flag that flew over her base while she was there. It was quite an honor to receive it. Then watched some coverage on TV.

MaryStoaks 09-11-2011 06:18 PM

I went to Mexico on Saturday ( only 3 hours drive) and returned home this morning. I was worried about the border crossing, would it take forever (sometimes I've waited 3 hours) so we left for the border early (6AM). There was no wait at all, not even the usual early line-up. I guess not many people tried to cross today. I had heard that the border might close on 9,11.

blueangel 09-11-2011 06:19 PM

Went to church. We had a memorial service. Watched some of the programs on tv.

nycbgirl 09-11-2011 06:20 PM

Had a headache so I slept in then got up and sewed all day.

RenaB 09-11-2011 06:21 PM

Laid on the couch all day sick with a terrible head cold.

jaciqltznok 09-11-2011 06:22 PM

went to work and it was DEAD...seems nobody wanted to chance getting on the base and having it get locked down with them on it, so they stayed home...after work I picked up my things from the fair, helped a friend clean her house, went to Sears for friends & family night, got some great bargains on kitchen stuff, had dessert at Applebees and came home tired...

Did all I could to avoid anything to do with 9-11! I am of the "let it rest already" party!

sueinbarre 09-11-2011 06:26 PM

I have seen so much on 9/11 that I tried to not watch or hear any more coverage today. I just couldn't cry any more.
I spent the day following church getting everything ready to move my mother-in-law into an assisted living facility.
sueinbarre

AZTeri 09-11-2011 06:32 PM

Church, fellowship group lunch, nap, now watching football. My quilt is sitting here staring at me, but I'm stumped about the next step and waiting for it to come to me. Not feeling 100% so heading to bed shortly. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll know what to do next on this quilt.

IrishNY 09-11-2011 06:36 PM

I watched some football, did a few errands, cleaned a little and monitored QB, but did spend a fair amount of time thinking about the significance of the day and shed a few tears. I think I am sadder today than 10 years ago. Then I was just in shock.