Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can anyone help please - machine embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-anyone-help-please-machine-embroidery-t153662.html)

fluffynan 09-17-2011 10:44 AM

I do hope I am not offending by asking this question on what is primarily a quilting site, but I am having trouble finding an answer.
I recently brought a Brother 750e embroidery machine and although I am happy using a computer, I don't fully understand how to download patterns from the various embroidery sites. I understand that I need a memory stick, but am not sure if I actually have to purchase a software package to use the memory stick or if I can download directly onto the stick. I have been stitching the designs that come already loaded on the machine and they are coming out ok. If anyone has this machine or can offer advice I would really appreciate it. Maybe I am trying to run before I can walk LOL.
Many thanks
Sue

Crqltr 09-17-2011 10:51 AM

I am not sure about that machine..but I down load designs to a memory stick. One of my machines sews from the stick, another machine I have I have to convert from the stick to the machine memory card. I use the amazing box for that one. Does this help or make any sense?

btiny36 09-17-2011 10:57 AM

If you are simply just using a memory stick then no you don't need any special program...the only advice I have for you, is keep all you designs in a file on your computer, and when you want to use a a certain design, load it onto your memory stick and put into your machine that way your machine doesn't have to load alot of designs....Just make sure that the designs you are downloaded from the internet are the right ones for your machine...Like my machine uses .jeff, not sure what yours uses....does this make sense to you?

fluffynan 09-17-2011 11:04 AM

Thank you so much for your answers. I did download a design onto my computer but could not open it. Not sure if it is a zip file or something. I hope to get a memory stick USB stick I think they are and will try again. My machine uses PES format. I downloaded from Embroidery library. I am finding the terminology understandable, but the actual application flummoxing!
Sue

Bobbielinks 09-17-2011 11:05 AM

With my Brother machine I download purchased/free designs (PES format) onto a floppy disk, then just place that floppy in my Brother and stitch away.

Carron 09-17-2011 11:11 AM

Does your machine use a disk also? Those are the 3X3 re writeable ones. My Brother uses both the memory card (stick as you named it) and the 3X3 disk...I can no longer use the amazing box to transfer the designs because my new computer has SP3 and it refuses to down load the program to use the memory card.
With the 3X3 disk you can down load right from the computer. Be sure to up load only designs that are PES and they are usually in zip form that you can unzip.

twistedstitcher 09-17-2011 11:12 AM

I don't have that machine but in looking at the brochure on the Brother website if appears you can use a memory stick. Download your designs to your computer first, and make sure they're in the right format for your machine which I'm guessing is PES. I keep mine in various folders according to category, flowers, animals, Christmas, etc.

When you want to use a design, find it in your folder and download it from your computer onto your memory stick. Then put the stick into your embroidery machine.

me0wp00 09-17-2011 11:19 AM

Hi, Ive got a janome memorycraft so different machine but ive had a quick swizz on the net and it appears that you just need a USB key, http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-8675.aspx
or http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-4202.aspx will be fine, depending on how many designs you want on it at any one time.
If you download from embroidery library you can choose a zipped or unzipped version, until you get used to things, choose the unzipped version, save it somewhere on a pc (I make a folder saying embroidery designs and then make another one with a sub folder, i.e flowers) then you *should* be able to drag and drop it onto the memory stick when its in your computer and then plug it directly into the embroidery machine and it'll pick up a memory stick...
hope this helps and makes sense a bit

lisainmo 09-17-2011 11:21 AM

If the file is zipped you will need a program to unzip it. I use WinZip. If purchasing at Emb Library you can have them email the design to you unzipped then all you have to do is put it on the stick and you are ready to go. If you need more help, I would be happy to try and help you.

fluffynan 09-17-2011 11:23 AM

Looks like a memory stick is my next purchase. Sorry to be dense, but could you explain exactly what to expect when downloading onto your computer. I downloaded a couple of designs from the Embroidery Library, and checked that they were PES format. When I pressed for download I got a quick "flash" and that was it. It did show on my computer, but I was not able to open the file at all. Maybe I'll have better luck with a memory stick and just dowloading it straight to that. Will let you know how I get on. Sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but I don't appear to have grasped the intracacies (sp) of modern computing - never mind, as someone, not sure who, said, " we should learn something new everyday".
Sue