Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Stash Exploded (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-stash-exploded-t155587.html)

Teacup 09-24-2011 06:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So many of you post photos with stories of great finds at yard sales or of being gifted a stash. I never thought it would happen to me, but it did! A friend met some ladies who were cleaning items out of the apartment of a deceased relative. They asked my friend if she knew any quilters who might like some fabric. My friend’s SIL is a quilter, and she knew me! My friend took home a huge load of items. She kept back a large plastic tote of fabric for her SIL to go through, and kept some 1930s repo fabric for herself. I received two big plastic totes and several baskets of fabric, six quilting hoops, and some miscellaneous notions. All is good-to-excellent quality fabric, mostly by major fabric companies. Almost everything is quarter- to half-yard cuts, tons of fat quarters, very little yardage. The pictures below show most of it (my DD took home a plastic grocery bag of retro prints before I got it all sorted). There were also four pieced lap-sized quilt tops in Americana colors that just need borders (one is in the background of the stash) and some miscellaneous pieced blocks.

This quilter used scissors and templates and carefully drew her sewing lines on each block and hand-pieced. She absolutely loved patriotic themes and I have more variations on red/white/blue/gold stars and stripes and flags than you can possibly imagine. And she had a passion for stars! To say she was star-struck would be putting it mildly. In addition to the patriotic fabrics I have stars that glitter and shine in almost every color imaginable, as well as some celestial themed fabric with planets and stars. Also a nice stack of homespuns and some assorted prints. Funny about people’s tastes – there’s hardly a scrap of green in any of this, and not a speck of orange. No browns. Limited yellow, she tended toward gold. I have gotten about half of it washed; I’ve done 8 loads so far. I’m going to have to clean the sewing room and rearrange all my storage.

This fills two large plastic totes and a two baskets
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261910[/ATTACH]

IrishNY 09-24-2011 06:11 PM

How lucky for you!

Country1 09-24-2011 06:12 PM

Lucky you!

lovingmama 09-24-2011 06:12 PM

:thumbup:

skydiver70 09-24-2011 06:14 PM

You thought your time would never come for such a stash. Well, it was certainly worth waiting for wasn't it? You will have some pretty quilts.

ladypetite 09-24-2011 06:14 PM

Oh lucky....lucky you!

khurtdvm 09-24-2011 06:17 PM

Great gift!

scrappy2 09-24-2011 06:17 PM

Looks like you are going to have some fun! :thumbup:

quiltgrammyt2 09-24-2011 06:19 PM

Awesome, have fun with all your new "eye candy" :thumbup: :D :D

ssnare 09-24-2011 06:21 PM

Wow!