Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need ideas for Alzheimers Patients (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-ideas-alzheimers-patients-t159560.html)

MsMel 10-10-2011 10:25 PM

I am a nurse who frequently works in an Alzheimers Unit....We have several patients who enjoy busy mats....these are similar to dolls I have seen that have zippers, buttons, snaps, that don't detach. Pockets with things (animal shapes) that are attached to the mat with ribbon are on some of them as well. I would say the ones we have are about 11 X 14....I would love to make some new ones for my patients, ideally I would like to have one for each, but realistically I would like to be able to make enough that we had at least a dozen for use in the common area.....Does anyone know where I might find a pattern for these?

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated as well :)

craftybear 10-10-2011 10:27 PM

I will search and see if I can find you a pattern

I'm going to bed now 2:27 a.m in central Indiana

It has been a long 4 days, hubby still in hospital and I have been calling the hospital to chat with the nurses about his updates, he has a bad staph infection

Originally Posted by MsMel
I am a nurse who frequently works in an Alzheimers Unit....We have several patients who enjoy busy mats....these are similar to dolls I have seen that have zippers, buttons, snaps, that don't detach. Pockets with things (animal shapes) that are attached to the mat with ribbon are on some of them as well. I would say the ones we have are about 11 X 14....I would love to make some new ones for my patients, ideally I would like to have one for each, but realistically I would like to be able to make enough that we had at least a dozen for use in the common area.....Does anyone know where I might find a pattern for these?

MsMel 10-10-2011 10:29 PM

Thanks Crafty Bear...I am working about 50-60 hours a week...will check in tomorrow...just haven't had time to do the searching :)

craftybear 10-10-2011 10:29 PM

Not a problem, I love surfing and will find you lots of cool links

I am known as the "Surfing Queen of Links"

take care!

Thanks Crafty Bear...I am working about 50-60 hours a week...will check in tomorrow...just haven't had time to do the searching :)

MsMel 10-10-2011 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I will search and see if I can find you a pattern

I'm going to bed now 2:27 a.m in central Indiana

It has been a long 4 days, hubby still in hospital and I have been calling the hospital to chat with the nurses about his updates, he has a bad staph infection

Keep me posted on the hubby as well....feel free to PM me with any questions or to talk...will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers :) Best wishes...

Airwick156 10-10-2011 11:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your hubby Crafty. Hope he gets better real soon.

MsMel. I hope you are able to find a pattern to make those. :)

bluteddi 10-10-2011 11:32 PM

I have made a number of " quiet books or busy books" for children... they sounds simular only in mat form instead of a book....
U might try a search for that. I have a couple of patterns for these if u are interested... coloring books are great for ideas...
My last quiet book I had
*a pot of flowers that buttoned on( stems/leaves kept them from getting lost)
*a dog in his house ( dog was on leash and came out of house
*a large cat with a " collar to snap"
*a ear of corn that the husk unzipped to show the corn
*a bird sitting on a nest of eggs ( bird raised out of nest but was still attached)
*one was a giant tennis shoe for lacing ( again lacing anchored at the bottom)
I found lots of other ideas online....

Painiacs 10-11-2011 01:50 AM

What A good idea!
Crafty will keep u and DH in prayers. My DH has both legs wrapped due to health issues! I can kinda empathize with ya !

PABerard 10-11-2011 02:36 AM

This seems pretty straight forward
http://figjamandlimecordial.com/2011...nsory-blanket/

and this seems like it might be a nice, easy way to accomplish the same thing. Not too big to lug around either http://www.hope4specialneeds.com/pro...ml#handfidgets

HTH ~ Pat

blueangel 10-11-2011 04:08 AM

I saw someone had aquilt called figgedy quilt. It had all kinds of thin gs they could feeland handle.