Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   what to get a Doc that is going to retire (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-get-doc-going-retire-t160615.html)

peppermint 10-15-2011 09:43 AM

I just found out that my Dr that I have had more then 20yr is retiring the end of this month. He is really special to me because he saved my life a couple of years back. I don't believe that I will have time to make him a quilt. I have been racking my brain and I'm coming up blank. I will have my last visit with him on the 25th. He will be going to FL not long after he leaves the practice.
Looking for suggestions.

luv-e 10-15-2011 09:47 AM

A book on gardening.........
Does he have a hobby???? something to do with that.

QuiltnNan 10-15-2011 09:48 AM

how 'bout a mug rug that he will always think of you when he uses. if you have the time, you could applique a caduceus to it

Rose L 10-15-2011 09:49 AM

Deep sea fishing gear? Golf equipment? Tour guide books?

sueisallaboutquilts 10-15-2011 10:09 AM

Is there any way to call his wife if he has one `to ask what his interests are??
That's so kind of you :D

Ellen 10-15-2011 12:35 PM

Depending on where in FL he's retiring to, you could get him regional tickets to a playhouse or gift certificate to a local restaurant. Pillowcases using tropical theme and colors.

Where is he retiring to, btw? I'll be on the lookout for him...lol.

cheezythequiltmaker 10-15-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by peppermint
I just found out that my Dr that I have had more then 20yr is retiring the end of this month. He is really special to me because he saved my life a couple of years back. I don't believe that I will have time to make him a quilt. I have been racking my brain and I'm coming up blank. I will have my last visit with him on the 25th. He will be going to FL not long after he leaves the practice.
Looking for suggestions.

I love the idea of the mug rug. maybe a couple of mug rugs.

My mum, several years back was suffering from cateracts. It had got so bad she had had to give up doing her beloved cross stitch. After her surgery she was able to see clearly again and stitched her surgeon a little card. As she gave ot to him she explained that he had given her back the long lost pleasure of her hobby, and th card was evidence of that. he was very touched as it was a demonstration of how his careful treatment had positively affetced her life.

Whatever the gift it will come from the heart and the card that goes with it will the best carry of the sentiment you want to convey.

becks

peppermint 10-30-2011 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the input. I ended up giiving him gulf balls. He loves gulfs and will be going to FL in a couple of weeks.

Hosta 10-30-2011 08:02 AM

I would send my Dr a bill for all the time I spent waiting over the years