Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Helpful tools for both longarm and standard machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/helpful-tools-both-longarm-standard-machine-quilting-t161849.html)

debcavan 10-20-2011 06:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Some things save me time, others frustrations, others expense. There are also a couple of techniques to help me when backings are too small in width and stabilizing when doing several colors.

This is a friend's quilt and will require 3 colors of thread and had the backing too short.

The purple article on the left is an eye brow shaper, it has a razor blade protected by metal with slits. This is easy for ripping and does not cut into the top. I found them in the beauty department of any pharmacy store or store like Walmarrt/ There is another brand that is longer and better. Next to it you can see the batting and then a piece of muslin sew onto the sides of the quilt. There was only two inches extra given on the backing and with my wonderful long clamps from Calico Kitten, I need more. I was able to sew this on with the longarm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274297[/ATTACH]

Starting on the left, is a plastic dish with a cover for my chalk. I use a foam craft brush to apply chalk to my stencils. Put brush into chalk, knock off the excess on the sides of the dish. Next to it is baby talc which I use in place of chalk. It is fine and much cheaper, I also use it in my pouncer. A pencil sharpener with two sharpeners, one large enought for the chalk sticks is the red artcle and nrxt is the chalk board chalk I use to mark parts of my quilt. Next to that is a black handle with a little crocket hook in it for getting thread out from under the quilt top when they have been quilted in and finally on the edge is a ballpoint awl by Clover. If you are ripping out from the top of your quilt especially just a few stitches, the ball head is wonderful
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274302[/ATTACH]

The pearl heads on the pins show up well. When I am doing several colors and need to stablize the quilt sandwich, I pin every six to eight inches with these very visable pins.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274303[/ATTACH]

These are GENERAL pastel chalk pencils. I have used white and grey and both have washed out well. But they do have to be washed. They don't just brush away. I found them at Walmart and many other craft departments in stores.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274308[/ATTACH]

PegD 10-20-2011 06:37 AM

Great tips. Thanks.

Tartan 10-20-2011 06:39 AM

I will definately be looking for an eye brow shaper. Thanks Deb!

MTS 10-20-2011 06:45 AM

Great tips and information!!
I like the idea of using baby powder.
Thanks!

feline fanatic 10-20-2011 06:49 AM

Thanks for these helpful hints!! I will surely use them.

emmamarie 10-20-2011 07:10 AM

thank you

Lacelady 10-20-2011 07:18 AM

I don't think I have ever seen an eyebrow shaper here, I'll have to go and look. Thanks for the tips.

Shelby 10-20-2011 07:23 AM

I just got one of those eyebrow things, it works great! I also use a mustache trimmer...9.99 at WalMart and if you need to rip what seems like umpteen miles of stitches, it works wonderfully!
Thanks for the tip in the baby powder.

tuesy 10-20-2011 07:30 AM

Wonderful tips! Thank you. :)

jdiane318 10-20-2011 07:31 AM

Deb, you are so clever and creative. thanks for sharing.