Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much to charge? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-charge-t162959.html)

guntherquilter 10-24-2011 03:47 PM

I have been asked to make a T-shirt quilt for a friend--full size. Is there a "formula or magic number" to be used to come up with a cost/charge for making a quilt? She will be providing all the materials. Any ideas? Thanks

sewbeadit 10-24-2011 03:57 PM

I am not good at charging a friend. I always do it way too cheap, because it is a friend, or probably for free. :)

1234Irene 10-24-2011 03:58 PM

I charge anywhere from 175-200, for a full size, depending on what materials are offered. Hope this helps....

Skittl1321 10-24-2011 04:10 PM

Do you really need the money?

In my opinion, it isn't worth charging. You can never make enough to value your time highly enough, and even undercutting it, friends often feel like the price is too high- because they just have no idea how much effort it takes (and t-shirt quilts are a pain, IMO).

Is there something you could barter with her instead? Does she have a craft maybe?

Otherwise, I'd say about $200 for a full size, if she provides all materials, including thread, needles, interfacing, etc.

If you google t-shirt quilt cost, you will find many companies and see what they charge. I found one that is almost $650 for a full (40 t-shirts) another was $350 for the same size (36 shirts) and another that was $375 for a full but estimates 25 shirts. They are obviously seeking a profit though.

Rebecca VLQ 10-24-2011 04:17 PM

Yeah, t-shirt quilts are infinitely more time-intensive than most other quilts...

Dolphyngyrl 10-24-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Yeah, t-shirt quilts are infinitely more time-intensive than most other quilts...

I am just curious why this is, never made one

3incollege 10-24-2011 04:30 PM

My neighbor charges $400, I think that is a bit much.
I would only charge for supplies if any,keep your friendship.

Moonpi 10-24-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ

I am just curious why this is, never made one

Part of it is the interfacing to stabilize the knit fabric. Our LQS charges $25 per shirt, and uses jersey knit fabric to match the back to t-shirts. Sashing would be extra.

Rebecca VLQ 10-24-2011 04:35 PM

What Moonpi said....

You have garments that are of a certain size, that need to be cut so you have flat surface to work with. Then you put the stabilizer on. THEN you trim to fit. THEN you sew, hoping there's no stretching.

And if you're like me, you'll try and quilt all over it. And break the thread every few goes-around. :oops:

Digitizingqueen 10-24-2011 04:37 PM

I have hears 20 to 25 pre shirt but it depends on where you like - I charge 15 an hour for my piecing services...