Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tell-something-interesting-about-one-more-your-ancestors-t163321.html)

Yrnstr 10-26-2011 03:46 AM

On my father's side, there were 2 Irish Robin Hoods and a Basque pirate (all that explains my aversion to gov't, heheheh!) At a certain point, the Spanish Crown offered him amnesty if he put himself and his galleons and men at their disposal.

He did.

grann of 6 10-26-2011 03:50 AM

My Great Grandfather was "Julius Caesar" Conklin. Who would name a kid that? :shock:

Yrnstr 10-26-2011 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
My Great Grandfather was "Julius Caesar" Conklin. Who would name a kid that? :shock:

LOL! Obviously, someone who wanted his son to live victoriously! :wink:

Hosta 10-26-2011 03:56 AM

my mom's family were moonshiners

Painiacs 10-26-2011 04:04 AM

I'm related to Daniel Boone!

QuiltnNan 10-26-2011 04:07 AM

my ancestors arrived in America 16 generations ago on the wooden ship Arbella

clem55 10-26-2011 04:10 AM

My G-grandfather founded a small town in Ill. that was on the trail to the capitol of IL.He owned an Inn and Abe Lincoln spent the night there several times. My grandmother had a bridge named after her.

mshollysd 10-26-2011 04:10 AM

My great grandfather was a bigamist (went out for a loaf of bread in the 1900s and didn't come home), went back to Denmark, got married (my great grandmother was still alive here) and had twins (relations we don't know about).

My grandfather on my mother's side was in marines and he was involved in the searching of houses at the San Francisco Earthquake in the 20s.

My mother was a 4-star USO woman before she met my dad.

alikat110 10-26-2011 04:18 AM

1) english ancestory....related to sir fracis drake....
2)rumored relation to tennesee earnest ford
3) scottish ancestory....family name "turnbull".... Ancestor turned a charging bull headed toward ruler in scottland. Saved life of royalty....i was told there was a book in scottland written about my ancestor...no longer in print, though and have not been able to get copy. American name changed to trumble. My mother has been a member member of turnbull society!

dd 10-26-2011 04:26 AM

Not too much on my side. There was supposed to be a dancer but no one would talk about her. Wonder what kind of dancing she did? My great-grandmother wouldn't let anyone talk about her.
Now my husband's side, well, his grandfather and great-grandfather on his mother's side were arrested together for running shine. But his grandfather on his father's side was never arrested that I know of.
There was also supposed to be witches on both sides of my husbands family. But these people came from the mountains and explained things the best they could.