Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seriously looking for new machine, HELP! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seriously-looking-new-machine-help-t163651.html)

BeckiQuilts 10-27-2011 07:38 AM

I am finally convinced that I need a new sewing machine. I also want to get into machine embroidery. Have any of my QB friends bought the Janome MemoryCraft 9700? Any tips, pro or con?

Camping Angel 10-27-2011 07:43 AM

I also have been looking at this machine and wondering what others have to say about it. Had a demonstration at the International show and of course it all sounds wonderful, but what is the reality from the users?

Prism99 10-27-2011 09:05 AM

I am not into embroidery but, if I wanted to get into it, I would really want a separate embroidery machine. I have seen those machines work, and it takes quite a long time for them to complete a nice embroidery piece plus you need to be available to change thread colors for the machine. I would want two machines so I could be piecing or quilting on one while the embroidery machine is working. Getting up to change thread color once in awhile is just a good thing to do physically.

Have you considered getting two machines -- one for piecing/quilting and one for embroidery?

QuiltnNan 10-27-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I am not into embroidery but, if I wanted to get into it, I would really want a separate embroidery machine. I have seen those machines work, and it takes quite a long time for them to complete a nice embroidery piece plus you need to be available to change thread colors for the machine. I would want two machines so I could be piecing or quilting on one while the embroidery machine is working. Getting up to change thread color once in awhile is just a good thing to do physically.

Have you considered getting two machines -- one for piecing/quilting and one for embroidery?

good thoughts, prism

Camping Angel 10-27-2011 12:13 PM

I am going to be needing a new sewing machine soon and feel like it would be more cost effective to get both features in one machine. Also do not have any room for an additional machine.

Doreen 10-27-2011 12:26 PM

I love having 2 machines. While I am embroidering I can sew on the other one. I made room for the other machine.

JanetM 10-27-2011 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by BeckiQuilts
I am finally convinced that I need a new sewing machine. I also want to get into machine embroidery. Have any of my QB friends bought the Janome MemoryCraft 9700? Any tips, pro or con?

Did you see my recent post?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-163709-1.htm

mea12 10-27-2011 12:46 PM

Its a really nice machine with just one down-side and that is that it requires the use of ATA cards that you can no longer buy. You have to get them off the internet. This makes the machine's embroidery-side a little bit obsolete but if your dealer stocks the cards or can tell you where to buy them, then you should be ok. These machines have been out for many years now and are probably due to be updated. The new ones will use the stick like the Janome 350e. I almost bought one but dealer's price went up so much, I decided to wait.

hobbykat1955 10-27-2011 04:05 PM

I have a combo Husq Viking SE...And you diff need either a separate emb or sewing...Because it gets boring if your doing a long embroidery...some depending on detail and size can take over an hr to stitch out...So while it's sitching inbetween color changes I can quilt. Plus remember if it's in the shop you need a back up...

Dolphyngyrl 10-27-2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99

I have heard the same thing!!!