Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   home made laundty soap results (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/home-made-laundty-soap-results-t169176.html)

candicane 11-20-2011 02:02 PM

home made laundty soap results

Just wondering if any of you made the laundry soap I posted here a while back. Would love to hear feed back gooe or bad. I just made a new batch and was curious. keep me in the loop. Ive been hand quilting and my fingers hurt, thimble keep falling off. See ya.

Baby Catcher 11-20-2011 02:19 PM

I'm interested to know what people think. As an empty nester I don't do enough laundry to worry about the cost but my daughters have babies and they would like the savings.

Stitchnripper 11-20-2011 02:29 PM

I made the recipe of grating a bar of soap, and then adding a cup of washing soda and a cup of 20 mule team borax. Is that the recipe you used? It gives a powder which I've used and it is very nice. 1-2 tablespoons per load. I have a top loader, not HE, but since it makes no suds my guess is it could be used in a HE machine.

carolynjo 11-20-2011 02:50 PM

I made an earlier recipe usinf Fels Naptha soap and washing soda and borax. I boiled the recipe as suggested and then added water to the basic brew. I love it; it has no odor and cleans the clothes very well. It makes 2 gallons and using a 1/2 cup at a time, it lasts for a very long time. Thank whoever sent out the original recipe. I would think lots of us would use it since it is so much cheaper. Note: If I hadn' found the earlier one, I would surely be using your recipe.

TanyaL 11-20-2011 04:01 PM

I bought the ingredients but haven't made it yet. I asked before but didn't get an answer to the question if anyone actually had used it in a new HE front loading washer. So I'll inquire once more. Has someone used it for their laundry in a new front loading washer? Also, do you add bleach to it for your white loads?

Stitchnripper 11-20-2011 04:36 PM

Has anyone made the powder version? Without boiling and adding water?

veronajules 11-20-2011 06:45 PM

Hi! I use the dry mix all the time. I have a front loading washer and I use a tablespoon of it,my clothes come out clean. I gave some to my 19 year old nephew and he said his jeans came out cleaner with my homemade than with the store brand. I do use half of a dryer sheet to soften the clothes. A whole sheet has to much perfume smell for me.

athomenow 11-20-2011 07:23 PM

I made the powder mix and really thought it did a good job. I need to make more but have to get the supplies first. I won't take on anything else until after Christmas. Too much on my plate already.

sitzy 11-21-2011 05:04 AM

I use it and I do like it. I have been using 2 scopes especially on jeans and men's shirts I use the dry mixture

Baby Catcher 11-21-2011 07:26 AM

So for the dry mixture do you use the same recipe minus the water and boiling? The recipe I'm referring to is this:

1 bar Fels-Naptha soap
1 1/2 cups Borax
1 1/2 cups Arm & Hammer washing soda.