Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   AARP Membership (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/aarp-membership-t169443.html)

bearisgray 11-22-2011 09:50 AM

AARP Membership

I'm debating about whether or not to renew/continue our membership in this organization.

DH feels it's a waste of money. I'm undecided.

I'm asking for more opinions?

MissSandra 11-22-2011 09:55 AM

other than information i can get in alot of places i'm not sure its worth the money either

Jingle 11-22-2011 10:00 AM

We haven't gone anywhere to benefit from a discount. Don't think I will renew ours.

Gramie bj 11-22-2011 10:06 AM

My Mother has her medcare Supplment Inc. through them Reasonable price and no problems in the last 20 yrs and 4 hospital stayes, and 2 surgeries. It would cost her more going through the same Co. if she was not an AARP member.

RonieM 11-22-2011 10:32 AM

My hubby is an AARP member. We get some use, but not alot out of our membership. We recently discovered that if you show your AARP card a Denny's, you get a 20% off your total bill. I am sure there are other places that honor the AARP discount that we just don't think about.

quiltingcandy 11-22-2011 10:38 AM

My husband and I are members, my parents were also members. In order to understand the full benefit you need to keep up with the information in the magazines and you need to ask for the various discounts because most of the companies will not ask you. Kind of like AAA, there are a lot of benefits out there but you need to ask. Motel 6 gives an AARP discount, but you have to ask to name one place. Kind of like store coupons, if you don't cut them out the store is not going to give the discount to you. Maybe you could go on line and make a list of the various discount areas and then determine if the membership will be a benefit to you. It is for us.

DianneRab 11-22-2011 10:42 AM

Ladies, just so you know, AARP doesn't sell insurance or back it up, they are just a pass through agency.
Don't be fooled by the ads, they don't sell this stuff.

ptquilts 11-22-2011 11:06 AM

as far as hotel discounts go, if you can't get a 10% discount off the rack rates for SOMETHING you shouldn't be let out of the house alone, forget about traveling!! You can get better discounts using the coupons you pick up in the rest areas.

Not a member, can you tell?

gollytwo 11-22-2011 11:12 AM

As I remember AARP started as an insurance hawker.
I've been a member for many years; get no benefit that I'm aware of, but continue the membership anyway.

Of late, have written several times to let them know how revolting I find their current advertizing.
Everyone else is having to cut back; I see no reason seniors shouldn't also - and, I'm 75 and on Social Security and bond income that's decresed significantly.

QuiltingNinaSue 11-22-2011 11:29 AM

No, we are not members and do not want to join. They fail to listen or represent seniors today...just themselves and what they want as CEOs getting big bucks. No thanks. We give to charities we feel are truly helping others, or a one on one basis. It is an individual decision, but the dollars are hard to come by at our age, and charity begins at home.