Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Thanksgiving leftovers, what's your pleasure? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/thanksgiving-leftovers-whats-your-pleasure-t169957.html)

MissTreated 11-26-2011 06:53 PM

Thanksgiving leftovers, what's your pleasure?

1 Attachment(s)
The one thing above all others (turkey sandwich running a close second) is turkey pot pie. Usually, I just add vegetables with the turkey, but this year I had so much dressing and mashed potatoes left over, I used them as well. So, inside the little pies, I put a layer of turkey, then on one side a large spoonful of the dressing and another next to it of the mashed potatoes. I then covered it with the leftover gravy (made extra specifically for this purpose) and topped it with the second pie crust. They were fabulous. One of my guests LOVED the little surprise of the mashed potato.

So now you know what I like, what's your favorite way to use the leftovers?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]291114[/ATTACH]

frugalfabrics 11-26-2011 06:55 PM

great idea! We usually make turkey sandwiches until we are sick of them...and also turkey soup.

MissTreated 11-26-2011 07:11 PM

Since my hubby has decided he likes smoked turkey (and is willing to go through all the trouble to do it himself) I no longer make soup. I have tried to make soup with the smoked turkey carcass and I'm telling' ya, it's nasty! So, we pick the bones clean, and make everything but soup. Sandwiches are a very close second!

sewNso 11-26-2011 10:14 PM

I have thought about making like a shepards pie. meat/turkey, gravy, veg, then potatoes on top. in a cassarole dish. I do this all the time with hamburg, or venison. but i do add onions with the meat.

quiltingcandy 11-26-2011 10:25 PM

I have to make turkey gruel. Which is a turkey stew, but my mom always called it gruel because it seems to last forever! I cook down the turkey after dinner, and after removing all the meat immediately. Save the broth and throw away the carcass. (Saves room in the refrigerator.) Then make up the gruel the next day with carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, peas and corn, thicken with a little milk and flour. My youngest daughter and my husband love it, so they really look forward to it. It is good, but I prefer making it with rice instead of potatoes and they want the potatoes. So sometimes I make up some white rice for me.

MissTreated 11-26-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso (Post 4724289)
I have thought about making like a shepards pie. meat/turkey, gravy, veg, then potatoes on top. in a cassarole dish. I do this all the time with hamburg, or venison. but i do add onions with the meat.

I thought about doing that, even looked up a standard recipe. But the pies won over. I just love pie. Any kind of pie.

kathdavis 11-26-2011 10:41 PM

Looks beautiful and sounds yummy!

Airwick156 11-26-2011 11:00 PM

Since I didn't cook a turkey this year...Im headed to your house Misstreated. Hope you have extras. LOL Boy does your pie look beautiful. :)
I make homemade chicken pot pies all the time. Never thought to make Turkey pot pies.

titute01 11-27-2011 04:36 AM

turkey alfredo lagsanawas wonderful!!!!!!!!!

Shoofly1 11-27-2011 12:30 PM

Found this recipe last year in "The Food You Crave," by Ellie Krieger. It's one of my favorites.

You know someone is a big fan of leftovers when they cook extra just to be sure to wind up with them. Guilty as charged! Whenever I make my Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast, I pop a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven and I make sure I have enough turkey left over to make this simple, yet outstanding, hash the next morning. It makes a perfect sweet-savory, herb-perfumed bed for poached eggs. I don't know what is better, the moment I break the egg and watch the yolk flow decadently over the hash or my first satisfying bite.

Turkey Breast and Sweet Potato Hash

2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1-1/2 cups diced roasted turkey breast
1/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp white vinegar
4 large eggs
hot pepper sauce for serving

Preheat the oven to 400*F. Bake the sweet potatoes for 40 minutes; cool, peel, and dice.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and thyme and cook, stirring until softened and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, turkey, salt and some pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to brown, about 3 minutes longer. Add the broth, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed on the bottom of the pan. Keep warm while you poach the eggs.
Fill a saute pan with 1-1/2 inches of water, add the vinegar, and bring to a simmer. Break 1 egg into a small bowl, then carefully pour it into the water. Repeat with the remaining eggs, spacing them so they do not touch. Poach at a gentle simmer until the whites are firm but the yolks are still runny, 3 to 4 minutes. with a slotted spoon transfer the eggs to paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
Divide the hash between 4 plates and top each serving with a poached egg. Serve with hot sauce.

Serves 4. Serving size: About 1 cup hash and 1 egg.