Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question son Disappearing 9 patch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-son-disappearing-9-patch-t175433.html)

Ruby the Quilter 01-12-2012 07:04 PM

Question son Disappearing 9 patch

My next project is a disappearing 9 patch. Wold I use 8 prints and a dark center or what is the least amount of fabrics to use Does it work best to have the center block always the same? Thanks for yours help with this.

Ps 150 01-12-2012 07:39 PM

I use either 3 fabrics or 5 fabrics and I always have the center block be the same. It seems to really make the whole quilt come together and pop at the same time. Here's a great example I just recently saw on this board:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t175006.html

katier825 01-12-2012 07:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You can use whatever you want! Some people make them with only a few colors. Personally, I like to use lots of different prints in a particular color scheme and keep the center square the same because it forms a secondary pattern when I cut/sew them back together after flipping the opposite ones. I also tend to keep the same parts similar, such as all the outer corners dark, inner squares light, etc. I like the way it looks. I've done a few. One was black and white with turquoise. One blues/yellows/greens with teal centers. One of safari fabrics that I used squares from a panel for the large squares. I'll see if I can locate the pics for you.

GrannieAnnie 01-12-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter (Post 4869363)
My next project is a disappearing 9 patch. Wold I use 8 prints and a dark center or what is the least amount of fabrics to use Does it work best to have the center block always the same? Thanks for yours help with this.

I like the center the same, to keep some continuity. I also do the corners in a focus fabric and the inside edges in a smaller print. Really, whatever suits your fancy.

annesthreads 01-13-2012 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 4869486)
You can use whatever you want! Some people make them with only a few colors. Personally, I like to use lots of different prints in a particular color scheme and keep the center square the same because it forms a secondary pattern when I cut/sew them back together after flipping the opposite ones. I also tend to keep the same parts similar, such as all the outer corners dark, inner squares light, etc. I like the way it looks. I've done a few. One was black and white with turquoise. One blues/yellows/greens with teal centers. One of safari fabrics that I used squares from a panel for the large squares. I'll see if I can locate the pics for you.

I love your animal print quilt - I've been thinking of using D9P for a baby quilt, as I have some fabric with pictures of trucks, diggers etc in 4in squares - this confirms it'd work well.

katier825 01-13-2012 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads (Post 4869751)
I love your animal print quilt - I've been thinking of using D9P for a baby quilt, as I have some fabric with pictures of trucks, diggers etc in 4in squares - this confirms it'd work well.

Sounds nice! I think the D9P would look good as an I-spy quilt too.

CrazyQuiltLady 01-13-2012 02:30 AM

I just posted mine on the UFO challenge page 26 or 27. It is all scraps with the center kept the same. Then I did it up qayg with a striped batik as the sashing. Great way to use up bigger scraps for me.

coldquilter 01-13-2012 05:29 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful examples on here. I am working on cutting some scraps to make a D9P and just watched an online tutorial the other day. I don't have quantities of fabric and so mine will be totally scraps, nothing matching but I do like how they look when matched. Mine is just another charity top and want to practice on the pattern. Love the one with blue and the one with turqoise.

Cagey 01-13-2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 4869486)

Love your turquoise quilt. My favorite colors.

Krisb 01-13-2012 12:58 PM

If you use focus fabrics in all four corners, don't you need to be careful about orientation if the fabric is directional? The animal pictures, for instance. Or do you just exchange the sections after you cut instead of "flipping" them?