Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about quilt borders ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-quilt-borders-t178560.html)

wandajean 02-07-2012 10:34 PM

Question about quilt borders ...

1 Attachment(s)
I'm making a king size quilt for my parent's anniversary. The last border I need to put on is a 10" border. I'm considering adding this border to only the sides and bottom of the quilt, so that when the quilt is on the bed, it won't be too long on the top. As you can see in the picture, the main part of the quilt (where the red stars and squares on point are) will fit perfectly on the top of the bed with the borders draping down. If I add the border to the top, there will be extra there, and they'll likely need to tuck the fabric down along the mattress, or tuck it under ... Does anyone else do this? Should I just put the border on all sides? Thanks for your advice : )

QuiltnNan 02-08-2012 02:29 AM

i like your idea of not having a wide border at the top. then the pattern of the center comes up over the pillow to be seen better. i've seen a lot of older quilts that have been done this way. the quilt is beautiful.

AnnieH 02-08-2012 02:32 AM

What a beautiful gift. Go with your idea. Looks like it will work well.
Annie

karenbrown 02-08-2012 02:40 AM

What is your quilt pattern? Oh....so very pretty and I love your color arrangement!

QM 02-08-2012 02:54 AM

I have seen several antique quilts made with no top border. I have also seen several modern quilts with a top border etc. on a separate piece to be removed when the people climb in bed under the main quilt.

You have done a fine job, BTW.

sandyms 02-08-2012 04:29 AM

That's what I did for the quilt on our bed. I wanted the star to be basically centered on our bed, so no 3rd border on the top. Go for it - you'll be glad you did it that way.

dunster 02-08-2012 06:41 AM

Very pretty quilt! I think it's wonderful that you're thinking of how the quilt will be used and how it will look on the bed it's meant to be on. Add borders (or not) as you see fit. Some people like to have a pillow tuck, some don't; some have footboards and others don't. One of the advantages of a hand made quilt is that it can be designed specifically for the taste of the person who uses it.

joyce888 02-08-2012 06:52 AM

First let me say the quilt is BEAUTIFUL. I would go ahead and put the border on all sides because I would want the option of rotating the quilt. I tuck the bottom of my quilts in and I know over time this can stress the fabric and seams.

P.S. please tell us your pattern!

mighty 02-08-2012 06:58 AM

Either way would be just fine. Your quilt is beautiful.

wandajean 02-08-2012 07:58 AM

Thank you to all. This quilt is called "Star Light", by Rebecca Segura of Zeffie's Quilts, designed by Gerri Robinson. I found the pattern in the McCall's Quilting magazine, Winter 2010/2011 (no named month). Her quilt was 59 1/2 x 73 1/2, a total of 12 blocks. I made mine bigger ... 25 blocks, and it'll be approximately 115 x 115, with 2 borders. My reds are redder than they appear in the picture. Fun quilt ... but a challenge for me, as I've been quilting for a year.