Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing mach oil bottles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-mach-oil-bottles-t179146.html)

DogHouseMom 02-12-2012 02:31 PM

Sewing mach oil bottles

What is with sewing machine oil bottles? Every time I oil my machine (with every bobbin change - I'm good to my machine) the bottle is covered in oil. I'm also good to my sewing machine oil bottle and I clean it off every single time I'm through with it. But a month later ... it's COVERED in oil again!! I swear the plastic is porous and the oil is so thin it "seeps" right through. I've learned to first grab a paper towel before I grab the bottle, but I still have to wash my hands when I'm done.

Does anyone else have this problem with plastic bottles of sewing machine oil or is it just me? I have to keep my bottle on a piece of paper towel in the bottom of sewing cabinet.

So much trouble for one little drop of oil.

Sheesh.

QuiltnNan 02-12-2012 02:43 PM

i've noticed the same. i keep mine in a plastic baggie. a friend sent me a neat oil container. it is half as long as a new pencil, clear to see the contents, and has a metal dispenser sort of like a syringe. it has a cap that fits over that. it never seems to leak. and the long needle makes it easy to make sure the oil goes in the right spots.

Caroline S 02-12-2012 02:57 PM

What brand of oil are you using? I have not noticed that problem with Triflow oil.

ckcowl 02-12-2012 03:43 PM

i bought an oiler from Clotilde's that has a long tube the oil is in and a long (like 4") thin needle type end that the oil comes out of - it has a small rubber stopper- i've been using it for 3 years now- have never had any sign of any leakage---and it makes it possible to reach hard to reach places- one of the best (tools) i've ever bought. :) i think it was about $9 with machine oil included

Scissor Queen 02-12-2012 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 4969230)
i bought an oiler from Clotilde's that has a long tube the oil is in and a long (like 4") thin needle type end that the oil comes out of - it has a small rubber stopper- i've been using it for 3 years now- have never had any sign of any leakage---and it makes it possible to reach hard to reach places- one of the best (tools) i've ever bought. :) i think it was about $9 with machine oil included

I think that's the same one I have. I don't remember where I got it but it's called a Precision Oiler.

ewecansew 02-12-2012 05:01 PM

I have a bottle of Zoot and I hate it. It was sitting on the shelf and I wondered what was all over the shelf--- oil. When I pushed the tube back down, it created a siphon action. Now it is in a cup and every so often I half to pour the oil back into the bottle. I won't buy them to sell in my store, either.

mighty 02-12-2012 05:11 PM

I also use the bottle with the spout that goes up and down with a screw on cap and have no problems.

joyee 02-28-2012 04:17 AM

Well nice sharing...
I wanna add some thing in this conversation that the koozie give a great display to your bottles.

babindg12200 02-28-2012 05:26 AM

Did you all know that your oil goes bad after 3 months? Well it does, you have to get new oil frequently. I buy the oil in the small tubes from Joanne's, and it usually lasts enough for me. They come in a 3tube set. Check it out.

madamheather 02-28-2012 06:56 AM

I always hated machine oil bottles. They were always oily, fuzzy, dirty, etc. When I wanted a drop of oil I got a huge drop. I am a nurse and have put my oil in a 3 cc syringe with needle. I can get small drop of oil right in the crack of the bobbin case where I need it and down the hole's that are supposed to get oil. It never leaks or get oily and fuzzy with lint. --Works for me.