Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   AGD Prayer Garden Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/agd-prayer-garden-quilt-t179827.html)

dmwseattle 02-18-2012 08:56 AM

AGD Prayer Garden Quilt

I am new to sewing, quilting and embroidery. I have the AGD (Anita Goodesign) Prayer Garden Disk, muslin and interfacing but I have a couple of questions and before I email AGD, I thought I would ask the questions here to see if anyone can help me. I hope I am doing all of this "posting" forum questions correctly. I have never tried to "chat" or "post" on any message board or any sites before, so if I am doing something wrong, please let me know.

Question 1: AGD suggests Ultra, Whisper or Armo weft interfacing to fuse permanently onto the muslin. I found Ultra Weft, but the instructions on the Ultra Weft says it is not washable. Has anyone used this interfacing before and then washed the item? I guess I wonder why they would use that kind of interfacing if it would make the quilt "dry clean only" Or is that (dry cleaning) the way I should clean my quilt anyway? I would prefer to use this quilt when it is done and it would be a lot easier to be able to machine wash it in the delicate cycle. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Question 2: I could not find instructions on how to trim each individual block. (There are several smaller, odd shaped blocks that you are supposed to sew together to make 16 larger blocks that eventually go together to make the entire quilt). I was planning to preparing the blocks and then piece them into the the separate 16 blocks, but I am wondering how should I trim them? There is an intial outline that the design stitches that shows the basic outline of the block. How far should I trim that down when I am done with that particular block. Do I go by the untimate border size and then add a seam allowance. How do I calculate that. The instructions do not provide anything about how to cut them before you piece them. Its probably something basic that they expect experienced sewers and quilters would already know.

Thank you.
dmwseattle (Marie)

cjr 02-18-2012 09:31 AM

Do not know about stablizder.
For what it is worth. It is an accepted quilting standard that all seams in a quilt are 1/4". read your pattern to see if your blocks or parts of blocks are finished or unfinished size. Finished size includes seam allowances, Unfinished means you have to add 1/4" seam allowances to every piece regardless of size or shape.

Suggestion do not do final trimming on any finished blocks until all are made. There may be a differences in finished sizes for what ever reason. Trim all to smallest size. Many quilters make certain blocks a little larger for this reason.

Good Luck and remember to have fun.

Do not know this particular pattern, but sometimes pattern authors assume we know everything. Also I have found in some patterns directions are written very confusingly. If you can not solve this, perhaps a visit to the local quilt store with pattern is in order. They may be able to decifer this for you.

dublb 02-18-2012 09:58 AM

I'm not sure but I think that "not washable" means that it won't wash out. There is a water soluble interfacing that will wash out. Like I said I don't know for sure!

Grandma Peg 02-18-2012 10:08 AM

welcome from WI. Sorry can't help you.

Krisb 02-18-2012 10:49 AM

One site said that Ultra weft is dry clean only, Armo weft is machine wash or dry clean.

dublb 02-18-2012 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 4986290)
One site said that Ultra weft is dry clean only, Armo weft is machine wash or dry clean.

Who wants a "dry clean only" quilt?

intoquilting 02-18-2012 05:46 PM

The directions say to put the blocks face to face and stitch slightly inside the squaring stitch. It is also suggested to cut the batting back so you don't have extra bulk in your seams. Hope this helps.

kerrym38 02-18-2012 06:50 PM

I have this disc and have made a pillow for a friend with it. I trimmed the blocks 1/4" from from the stitching line that outlines the block. Then when I stitch them together I stitch barely inside that stitching line so I make sure the squaring stitches don't show. The blocks fit together very nicely. As for the interfacing, I use 911 fusible from Joann's. It's light weight and often on sale. I buy it by the bolt.

Hope this helps.

Kerry