Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using boards to sandwich & baste quilts?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-boards-sandwich-baste-quilts-t184539.html)

JReadman 03-31-2012 08:02 AM

Using boards to sandwich & baste quilts??

Has anyone tried Sharon Schamber's method of using boards to sandwich and baste quilts? I've seen the videos and it looks easy enough but thought I'd like to get some feed-back before attempting it.

Scissor Queen 03-31-2012 08:09 AM

It works beautifully. When you're done the quilt is very stable and doesn't shift at all. I used size 12 perle cotton that comes on the balls but next time I'm going to use size 20 crochet thread. I found doll making needles at JoAnn's that are easy to thread with thread that size and they're nice and long and very sharp.

I have two sizes of boards. I have a 6 foot set for smaller quilts and a 10 foot set for anything that won't fit on the 6 foot boards. I store the boards on the floor behind my couch in the family room. I have two folding tables from Wal-Mart that I put together end to end when I use the 10 foot boards. Sharon doesn't show it in her videos but it helps to tape the top edge of your quilt to the board with painter's tape.

alikat110 03-31-2012 10:14 AM

looks great, and i really want to...just haven't. thanks for your input Scissor Queen. Reinforces my thoughts that this is definately a great way to do it!!! JReadman, 'preciate you asking this.

judy363905 03-31-2012 10:22 AM

This is a great way to baste you quilt... I just have the 6 ft. boards..did not even think about longer ones - thanks Scissor Queen for that idea..Hubby did such a nice job on the sanding of the 6 ft. ones...I just bet he would not mind to sand another set for me.

Judy in Phx, AZ

azwendyg 03-31-2012 10:55 AM

I use the board method for sandwiching and just LOVE it. I even added my own "feature"; I covered my boards with flannel so that the quilt top and backing don't slip around on them when I start to wrap. I've made a set of 12' boards and have done quilts 11' wide using this method. It's very accurate and makes things so much easier to handle! By the way, I spray baste with 505 instead of pin or thread basting. It goes pretty fast and the quilt sandwich holds together just fine for FMQing on my domestic machine.

mary quilting 03-31-2012 11:55 AM

never head of it sounds great I'm going to head to home depo thanks for the tip

An Arm Long 03-31-2012 01:34 PM

I would love to see a photo. 6 foot by what? I can't quite wrap my mind around this.

humbird 03-31-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg (Post 5105246)
I use the board method for sandwiching and just LOVE it. I even added my own "feature"; I covered my boards with flannel so that the quilt top and backing don't slip around on them when I start to wrap. I've made a set of 12' boards and have done quilts 11' wide using this method. It's very accurate and makes things so much easier to handle! By the way, I spray baste with 505 instead of pin or thread basting. It goes pretty fast and the quilt sandwich holds together just fine for FMQing on my domestic machine.

azwendyg is being very modest. She has a wonderful tute on this method. Check it out. Best one I have seen.

Jan in VA 03-31-2012 03:37 PM

With the encouragement of this thread I'm anxious to give the method a try and will check out Wendy's tute.

Jan in VA

SewExtremeSeams 03-31-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by humbird (Post 5105641)
azwendyg is being very modest. She has a wonderful tute on this method. Check it out. Best one I have seen.

Yes, Wendy is being modest! But we can toot her horn.

While you are at it, check out the articles she has on all of her FMQ. :)